Need to find expert on 1966 series

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by stephenmullens, Jan 21, 2004.

1. stephenmullens

stephenmullens Member

I'm restoring a 1966 stepside. I would like to find someone who really knows the series 10 trucks who could answer a few of my questions.

Does anyone know an expert on 1966 series 10?

Thanks for your help!

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE: Need to find expert on 1966 ser

Expert is a relative term... For example, you could purchase the Factory Service Manual, and the Assembly Manual from our host here and become your own expert !

For a restoration, you should check web sites like Hemmings or the various and numerious web sites on the Internet that specialize in our trucks.

Dennis

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Other than that, This Forum is as good a place as any to ask a few questions. Fire away !

Dennis

4. tech1

tech1 Member

What are some of the questions you have?

5. AlbuquerqueC10

AlbuquerqueC10 Member

Hello tech1: I sent you an email with questions two days ago. I will forward them to you again tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your assistance.

6. AlbuquerqueC10

AlbuquerqueC10 Member

Tech1, here is my questions:

I have a 1966 C10 Stepside with a 230ci with 3 speed on column. After a close examination of the truck it's clear that a frame off restoration is required. Since I'm going this far with the restore I'm thinking I'll swap the engine and trans as well.

I am considering a V8 with 5 speed on the floor conversion but want as "natural" of a fit as possible to avoid major modifications to the truck as I want to keep the truck as original as possible. And I'd like to be able to use as many of the existing original parts to avoid having to search the planet for a gazillion little pieces. I don't plan on upgrading other aspects of the truck unless it's required for the engine/trans swap.

What Engine and Trans combination do you recommend?

Are major cab modifications required to change 3 on the column to a 5 speed on the floor?

Are there additional modifications I should and/or must make if I do the swap?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen Mullens
    '66Stepside