New at this!

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by jon8706, Nov 8, 2008.

1. jon8706

jon8706 Member

Hi,
    I have a 1987 chevy custom deluxe. I am new at working on vehicles. The front passenger side is bent in due to previous owner got hit. The engine is a rebuilt 305 and runs good. It also has a rebuilt transmission but i don't remember what kind of transmission it is. I am going to boot camp in january and i want to get as much done to is it as i can. I will get a pic up. Im going to need some help so far i know for sure it needs a new grill, front bumper, and passenger side fender. Other then that i haven't looked at it much. ANY ideas on how to make this truck look good are welcome. I got a grill for it but i didn't know (im new at this!) that it need a new grill molding to it also. any ideas are welcome.

Thank you,
    Jon8706

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

Welcome to the forum. Most likely your truck has a 700R4 transmission. Replacing the fender isn't difficult, just try to replace it with a GM fender (new or used, 81 to 87 will fit your truck) the fit is better than an aftermarket fender. I wouldn't remove the damaged fender until your ready to bolt on the replacement fender. Bag and tag the bolts and shims as this will make the installation easier. The front bumper is pretty much unbolt and bolt on replacement. Again 81 to 87 will fit and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the four bumper mounts if possible just it case yours are bent. Most aftermarket grills don't come with and some won't accept the stainless trim. Grills are year, make and headlamp configuation (2 or 4) specific also. Try searching through this site for parts vendors. Good luck with Boot Camp.

3. jon8706

jon8706 Member

Thanks!
    I am ordering a fender through this site for it!

4. Melman

Melman Member

Basic Training

Where are you going for basic training? What branch of service are you going to be in, have you chosen your MOS yet.
    I am a veteran from Viet Naim era. I went to Ft. Jackson for basic and Ft. Gorden for AIT. The fun part will be in basic.They will treat you like sh$t but it will be a good adventure for you.
    Good that you have a truck to occupy your free time. Post pictures as you go.
    Best of luck in your military days!!

Melman

5. jef5150

jef5150 Member

Im not "slamming" classic's parts, but why would you pay $170(shipped) for a fender thats readily available at any wrecking yard for $50-$75 :confused:.Youll have less fitment problems with a Gm made fender.

jeff

6. jon8706

jon8706 Member

I will be going to Ft. Pendelton for Basic, Marine corps. and my MOS is deisel engineer. I have looked at the wrecking yards around here and they don't have any fenders that can fit my 87 (i don't know why they don't but they don't, i have tried all of them that i know of!)

7. Trucknut

Trucknut Member

I'd like to see pictures of this fender. I've fixed a lot of them. How bad is it?

8. Trucknut

Trucknut Member

By the way, the 305 is one of the best SBC's around. I have a 350, 400 and a 305.4bbl. The 305 is in my 1981 Scottsdale. I'm sure it will outrun the 350 and the 400. It's all original and completely stock. Don't get a chance to 'get on it' very often, but it sure will 'sh*t and git' when I hammer it!

9. jon8706

jon8706 Member

The fender is pretty bent in, i will take a picture tomorrow and put it up on here. We were going to try to save it but we took a look at it and we don't think we are able to save it.

10. jon8706

jon8706 Member

These are the pictures of my truck, it took me forever to figure out how to get them on here !

Attached Files: