New Engine?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by FutureProjector, Sep 10, 2010.

1. FutureProjector

FutureProjector Member

Right now my 77 Silverado has a rebuilt 307 that has about 50k miles. It came with a 305 (from factory) and ran on that engine for about 20 years. In 97 it was replaced with the 307 and hasn't run much since then. After showing my father the truck after I bought it, he said that I should put in a 350. I don't really see any problems with having a 307 in it because it isn't worn at all but what do you think? Would the 350 really give me anything the 307 won't?
    Thanks

2. syly

syly Member

Did you change the engine? Nobody knows how to do that around here. I have a 79 Chevy Short Bed with a 454 but it's too much power and can't get anyone to put in a different size engine. I want to put in a smaller one. Hope yours worked. What kind of engine did you put in?

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

If you're happy with the 307, there's no reason to change it to a 350. With a 350 you might gain a few hp and some torque depending on specs of your 307 and the replacement.

4. FutureProjector

FutureProjector Member

I didn't put the 307 in, the previous owner did. Why do you want to change out your 454? I'm just trying to get backing to see why I should switch my engine, but it should not be that hard. Just get a new engine, new tranny, and do a few modifications with a few other parts and your done...

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Choices

You first have to decide why you want to change it ~ " just because " isn't a good reason unless you're rich and bored :p .

The 307 is an O.K. engine , you can wake it up a bit with different intake , carby and exhaust items if you choose .

454's are not useful unless you're hauling seriously big loads or trailers in hill country , or drag racing , or simply like to brag alot while everyone laughs at you behind your back for wasting gas $ better spent on beer :p .

These trucks are light in the rear so a 454 simply breaks the rear tires loose every time you goose it unless you also re-work the suspension seriously .

6. The Carpenter

The Carpenter Member

amen!!!!!!