New Guy and My '64 Step

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Dads64, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Dads64

Dads64 Member

Hey guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and to restoring vehicles. I have always been into cars and trucks and wanted to get into it never had the time. Well, my Father bouht this 1964 Short Bed Step Side with the intensions of restoring it. To nmake a long story short he came on hard times and sold it to my Grandfather who in turn gave it to me this May 4 years after my Father passed.

So now I have the chance to do what my Dad wanted to. The truck is very rusty and I porbably would not have got it if it was not my Dads. it does have a 327 that I just got running wit simple tune up items. Now that it is running it will not stop so my next plan is a 3/4 drop and disc brakes all around. From there who knows.

Anyway, it looks like you guys have a nice forum here and I am sure I will have a lot of questions for you. Here are a few pics of the truck.

Thanks,
    Jay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Arlo

Arlo Member

Is this truck going to get restored? Then i may look at Disc brakes as an option. If not stay with the Drum. they are inexpensive to completely redo with complete new parts. Believe it or not, drum brakes setup and working properly do work well. just a thought.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Try draining and flushing the brake fluid. Brake fluid will collect water via condensation over the years, especially in a truck that has been sitting, and lose it's effectiveness.

A full brake job will most likely be needed, but try flushing all the old fluid out first. You may just get the old girl to stop well enough to be able to drive it.

Val

4. Dads64

Dads64 Member

Yes, this truck is going to get restored. I am in the middle of a North Dakota winter so I have nothing but time but, the Air Force only pays so good.

It has been my plan since I brought it home to do the full disc brakes and suspension as soon as it runs. So now comes finding the right kits since it runs.

Thanks,
    Jay

5. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

if you plan on keeping it, do the drop/brake job. if you think you would ever have to sell it, keep the drums. it looks like you have a perfect candidate for a VERY nice restoration. my opinion, keep the looks, and drop it. Look at CPP.com for the brake sys. as well as classicparts.com. Ive been buy'n from cpp for a long time and not living much more beyond my old USAFE budget.
    g.t.

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Early Classic Ent.
    http://www.earlyclassic.com

Absolutely the BEST front disk brake conversion kit out there. Bar None !!
    I used their kit in my panel along with their front sway bar. Using hand tools in my garage, it went in in less than 8 hrs !!!

I started with the front suspension already disassembled with new ball joints and outter tie rod ends. While it was apart I also added power steering.

The difference was mind blowing !!

I've always been impressed by Early Classic products. They were the first to market a disk brake conversion for our trucks, first to manufacture their own drop spindles, and first in customer service. ALL the components of their kits are American Made !!
    You can call them on their 800 number with "pre-Sales" questions all day and they will be helpful, friendly and knowledgable.

Val

7. drabo

drabo Member

Before adding disc brakes make sure the wheels will fit. Alot of the kits require 16" or 17" wheels. While you are at it consider doing a 5 lug axle swap. That way you have huge amount of wheels to choose from instead of a couple.

Plan all current projects for your future projects. I'm am also a poor GI and have to buy a couple parts at a time and then do one big job. Good luck.

8. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Welcome! Thats a nice truck! Good luck with it!

9. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

welcome to the forum, there are several of us here that are building these years of truck because of our fathers too. sorry you hear yours passed. this is a great way to keep his memory.

as dvalintine stated earlier "EARLY CLASSICS SUSPENSION" is the way to go!!

looks like you truck is in very good shape, it will be like starting your restoration half way thru instead of way back at the begining.

10. jgturtl3

jgturtl3 Member

Beautiful truck! I've always loved all the curves of a shortbed stepside! Best of luck with it! (and finally someone I can say "I'm from Minot" and they know what I'm talkin' about)

11. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

aw come on now...not everyone on here, im sure, has "served" our beloved country....Minot, ND is a really nice place. as long as its between july and august.:D
    g.t.

12. Dads64

Dads64 Member

Yeah, I really like it up here in Minot ND. I have been up here for a total of 12 of my 16 years in.

The truck has a bit of rust in the cab and door seals under the rubber. I am going to do the suspension and brakes before even really touching the body.

Thanks for all the good comments and I look forward to working through this.

Jay