New guy from Oregon

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by bletch23, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bletch23

bletch23 Member

Hi all,

Have been reading this forum for a while, and am thoroughly impressed with the knowledge contained on this little page. I'm hoping that I might be able to glean some information in pursuit of restoring this little beauty, a 56 Chevy half ton.

Bought it in Bend, Oregon, for $2,500. Bed is pretty nasty, but I suppose that is to be expected. Four on the floor, longbed, and drives like a Sherman!

This is my first restore, and I'm actually not super experienced with autos in general. Have been working on bicycles for quite a while, and so this is quite a step up!

Was looking for advice on where to start, as this project seems a bit overwhelming as it is. Was looking at first taking off the bed and taking off all the paint to see what type of rust I have, then working on the front section. Looks like it has some rust, mainly on the front fender and possibly in the cab. Truck is parked in a garage, so I'm assuming I can work on the guts as I go along as well?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drivea55

drivea55 Member

welcome

Welcome Bletch,
    First thing is give us a name. I too am still a newby, and learning on a daily basis. I've exhausted You Tube on how to videos, and found my shop manual on line as well. It seemed a long time ago, that my friends (or so called friends), would love to make fun of me if I didn't know something about mechanics. I thought, how will I know if I don't ask. A lot of these guys are way ahead of us on there projects, and are more than willing to share what they know or have learned. I was given no real direction on where to start, but figured I'd just start at the front and work my way to the back. Once I got the engine and trans removed, I wanted to get them completely done before moving on. Mainly due to the amount of parts that were already accumulating. I also figured that once the engine etc was done, I'd then go after the cab and bed. Now I'll be able to hit the frame completely, then motor works install, body work and install, and all the bolt ons, wiring, and trim. Viola, simple right? I guess as long as you don't install something, and then find out later that something else needed to go before, then you'll be okay, I guess. Help me out here veterans:eek:
    Good luck to you,
    Woody

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Woody's Dilemma

LOL ! I think you about said it Woody .

As I grew up working on and with these fine trucks , I hate to take one apart until I know what it needs so I always begin by making it run then stop and turn , these repairs will screw up your new paint so doing them first is always wise .

By the time you move on to the hard stuff , body work and chassis, you're familiar with both the truck and your abilities .

99 % of old vehicles are ruined by taking them apart before you know what you're getting into .

Then after a few years they get scrapped or sold for parts :( .

4. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Bletch,
    I Will Say It Again From Experience,Do Not Take It All Apart If its Going To be awhile
    Before You Have The Funds to Put It all Back Together,Nate Is Right,I am Living Proof
    My Dad Bought Me My 58 For Me for $650.00 When I Was 16, I Cherish All The Memories
    I Had With Him Working On it,I Drove It to High School and then After, I Bought a 75 Chevy P/U to Rebuild The 58,WELL I Got Side Tracked and put a Ton Of Money Into The 75! Long Story Short The 75 Is Long Gone,Still have the 58 Thank GOD in Allot of
    Boxes, Many Thing Got in the way of the 58,My Oldest Son Starts College the End Of This Month,and My Daughter is Going to NAU College Today for her Third Year!
    Just Saying Things can get in The Way Of Your Plans
    Nate Is Giving You Great Advise! Go Over The Drive Train to Get it safe and Working Right That Should Be your First priority!
    Again FWIW,
    Allen

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well , You know ;

I worked on an old truck , once :rolleyes: .

:p .

6. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Ahh! But Maybe ONCE AGAIN!!!!!:D

Nate, I Did Spend Money To Put My 58 Cameo & MY 59 Stepside And My Grandfathers 29 Model A TUDOR Sedan In a 30X40 Garage (My Man Cave)
    But Now With the Economy The Way It is They Just Sit Waiting !
    At least They are Out Of the Weather and I am Able to Go Out and Tinker
    With Them,
    Allen

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Prefer

To drive and enjoy , my unrestored oldies ~ I'm just another Blue Collar Journeyman Mechanic so a show rig will forever be out of my grasp but I do like to drive and enjoy them .

I envy your BIG garage ! my little termite farm as a detached 1923 garage that'd be a snug fit for a 'T' Model .

I'm a big 'A' Model fan having grown up around them , I've had four including a 1931 DeLuxe PickupW/ dual sidemounts , overdrive , 'B' head , 'C' (don't say it) crank and so on.....

8. bletch23

bletch23 Member

Thanks guys. Not sure why this posted twice. Maybe I really needed it drilled into my head that I need the truck safe before I move forward with anything else? 56 comes home this weekend, and I'm going to dive into the engine bay to see what I find!

9. RobY56

RobY56 Member

Keep it a driver and work one thing at a time to conclusion. Stay focused on that one thing your repairing, then move to the next. Have fun!

10. LDO

LDO Member

GREAT advice. Wish I had taken it...hahha:D

11. bletch23

bletch23 Member

Great photos. Looks like a great rig!

Robbie

12. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Robbie, the truck is a lot of fun. It has been a long journey with it but i drive it about 3 times a week to work and back, and to meetings in Ventura and back which is 70 miles total round trip not counting the trips on the week end with it. Great fun.

13. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Ventura Highway, In The Summer Son , Were The Days Are Longer, The Nights are Longer (Think That's How The lyrics Go to The Song)Anyway I Bet Ya Sing
    that Song Driving Down The Road in The O'l Rig?
    Now I Got The Song Stuck In My Head!!! :D:rolleyes:
    Now I am Going To have To Get My 59 Stepside Out Of The Garage an:cool: CRUZ it Down The Highway!!!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Not really, but as you said now that thing is stuck in the mind,
    Seasons crying no despair Alligator lizards in the air,
    while I've been through the desert in my Chevy with no name It felt good to be out of the rain In the desert you can remember your name

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

In The Desert ,

You can " CHEVROLET " :

Can

Hear

Eevery

Valve

Rap

On

Long

Etended

Trips

(applies to proper InLine 6 Bangers and seriously worn out V-ate engines)

:D

:p

16. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hate To Say It Nate, But I Heard it as-
    Cheap,Heap,Every Valve Rattles,Oil Leaks Every Time

17. bonvo

bonvo Member

you got the truck in bend? do you live in the area? we should meet up and maybe help with each others trucks

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Acronyms !

Thanx , that's GREAT ! .

I hope I can remember it.....