New here, and have a question.....

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by n737nc, Jan 9, 2004.

1. n737nc

n737nc Member

Hey guys.
    Just had a question. I have a 83 chevy 1/2 ton long bed with a 350/350 combo. I am wanting to install a 200r-4 and was curious if this is a direct replacement for the 350.

I am pretty sure the crossmember will have to be moved a little, but I am more worried about the driveshaft lenth, or any other major things that I should worry about.

Thanks in advance!
    Nick

2. homeyj

homeyj Member

RE: New here, and have a question..

2004R trans is a car transmission

you want a TH700R4 trans to replace the TH350C trans originally equipped with the truck

get a trans prior to 1994

2004r trans is not strong enough to go in any truck

3. SPORTTRUCK70

SPORTTRUCK70 Member

RE: New here, and have a question..

Okay, heres the question, do you plan to use your truck as a truck? If not the 2004R might be okay, the 2004R was put in cars for a reason. But to answer your question the 2004R trasmission is 1/8th of an inch longer than a TH350 and has the same size/splines on the output shaft, meaning that the driveshaft will work. The only thing thats realy different is how far the crossmember sits in the frame. The 2004R (as does the 700R4) has a lock-up torque converter and will need to be wired up to work. It also uses a thottle cable (also as the 700R4) instead of a kick-down cable and the pivot piont on the carburator is different, if its not correct it will cause poor shifts and could burn up the transmission. I would strongly sudgest a 700R4 over the 2004R in a truck, mainly because you know theres going to be a few times its going to be loaded up with heavy weight or towing a big trailor be hind it that cars don't see.