New Old 1959 - Shortbed Fleetside - Modified

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Apr 6, 2010.

1. babailey

babailey Member

Well, I purchased another 1959 truck, now I have a 59 longbed stepside that is all original, and a 59 shortbed fleetside that has been modified.

Modifications:
    Chevy 350
    HEI Ignition
    700R4 Trans
    1983 Camaro radiator, axle, and drive shaft
    lowered suspension (about 6 inches)

The Front:
    It has drop spindles up front and only one leaf spring with shocks. This looks OK and seems to operate OK (a little stiff, but OK). It is easy to hit the rubber bump stops, even occasionally on a seam in the highway surface.

The Rear:
    This is another matter, it is a little lower than I would like plus I would like to be able to haul and maybe even pull a car trailer eventually. The rear has a single leaf spring and shocks. The shocks are attached to the u-bolts that hold the leaf spring to the axle.

My Questions:
    1. Can I just add a couple more leaf springs back in to give me a little more lift, or is there a better method?

2. Should I weld a bracket onto the axle to attach the shocks?

3. Shouldn't there be a pan hard bar on this setup (it has the axle from a 1982 Camaro)?

Thanks!

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If you get a chance please post a picture of the "drop spindles" on the front. Because you still have leaf springs on the front I assume you still have a stock front axle.

I've never seen dropped spindles for our 55-59 trucks.

3. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I do'nt know where your located at I have front and rear springs off a 57 SB. Real cheap(free).I may have some rear shock brackets too.real cheap too.
    Bobby

4. babailey

babailey Member

Cool, I might be interested in the additional leaf springs.

I am out of town at the moment, but I will get some pictures posted soon.