New old member

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Robs52trk, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

I guess I’m back for awhile but now a new but old member formally Latroca52
    So looks I like I will start over as pics and other stuff on the form page 59D72397-A88B-465F-888F-41C75A74E773.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

WELCOME HOME ROBERT ! (note clever use of Chevrolet Blue there) .

Did your old account get closed or something ? .

3. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

FEDA61C8-6645-409B-8F8D-0F524DA8C063.jpeg 6B8FBE16-1AB2-44EB-988B-35720FCC5E9D.jpeg So will try to keep it as short as possible as far as truck updates
    Was hoping to be on the road this summer no such luck
    Water pump started to leak so bought a new one from mother trucker
    Had to get a new fan blade old blade didn’t fit new pump
    Than started to have overheating issues so new thermostat new hoses new cap aluminum overflow tank and still had overheating
    Looked like the new lower hose was collapsing so bought a ribbed One I had installed a electric push fan on but that caused another issue .thought it would be helpful for idling in the driveway wrenching.
    Nope didn’t work was killing the battery while the engine was running .
    Than got through that than fuel pump started to leak replaced that truck would run for awhile than with out warning it would turn off and not start unless I dumped fuel in the carburetor but the carburetor had fuel in the bowl
    So took the fuel system apart to clean lines and fuel tank which I put in aluminum fuel line and a mustang tank in the back of the frame.the fuel tank was new when I installed it had old gas and tank looked dirty.
    Some pics to follow so started to add a electric fuel pump to use to prime the carburetor and a back up in case I have fuel pump failure.
    A couple of years ago I installed a jaguar front suspension made brackets and bolted in had to have the power rack rebuilt due to the p/s fluids leaking completely draining the p/s pump.
    The truck has been down for 5 years to long.

4. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

No I asked to close it

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good to see progress .

6. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

I attempted to do the Fenton duel carb intake manifold with no luck thinking one of the carburetors was different couldn’t get it to run right it looked cool plus added Fenton headers had to have the pipes reworked
    When I put the 235 engine a few years ago .
    a few months earlier I had the 216 manifold split and duel exhaust so not wanting to spend another $200 I didn’t want to split the 235 manifold so I put the 216 manifold on the 235 engine
    Ran great for years except I didn’t have enough power on the freeway seemed to run out of power
    As I called it flat lining.
    So got another 235 intake manifold put it on after failing attempt on duel carburetors
    Than ran into all the other stuff in previous post

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

8B7047D9-E478-465B-982C-FCF215FDC5BC.jpeg 97CA926F-6C65-46FA-AF2F-997AF65924B6.jpeg added a rear gravel pan

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? You moved to Hawaii ? .

The 216 didn't like the freeway much anyways, better to have the 235 and 16" wheels with narrow and tall tires to keep the engine speed down on the highway .

Dual carbys are nice but unless they're *exactly* matched they're dueling #rolleyes# .

The endless draw of $ into any oldie can be daunting . I thought you'd dumped a V-ATE into it .

9. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

I wish I moved to Hawaii just a gift shop plate that I had on the truck recently removed it due to sun fading

vwnate1 likes this.
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hawaii is nice, my father lived there for many years and I visited, after two weeks I was happy to head home .

11. Chiro

Chiro Member

Welcome back. Good to hear from you. Keep at it.
    Andy

Robs52trk and vwnate1 like this.
  12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Every so often I drive past a battered old 1955 3100 series Chevy pickup and wonder :'should I ask the old man who owns it ?'........

13. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

Thanks Andy how’s your 283 engine swap going with your truck?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    vwnate1 likes this.
  14. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hi Rob,

Haven't been on the forum for a while so sorry for the less than timely reply. I was happy when I saw you back on the board. :D About the 283 swap. The SBC is sleeping quietly, tucked away in the corner of my garage. It has always been my idea that when the 235 I6 in my truck dies I will swap in the 283. Good luck with that!!! Darn thing just keeps on going like the Energizer bunny! Recently tuned it up with a new set of points, cap and rotor. Didn't even change the plugs. Got it running the best it ever has since I've had it. Timed the engine perfectly which is not easy to do (I've got a new trick for doing that;)). I'm not in any hurry to do the V8 swap but I've got all the bits I need to do it. My son DROVE the truck to Virginia from Long Island, NY last year when we moved. It had my 80 gal. compressor, a couple barbeques, some lawn equipment, wheel barrow, etc. in the bed. Looked like the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road. Haha. I labeled him an "Official Badass" for doing that, running I95 all the way down with the crazies on that road. He followed me as I towed the Model A Hot Rod in front of him.

I've got to say something about ignition points. When I did the tune-up recently I had a nice set of NOS points laying around that I used. It was my last set so I went to NAPA to get a spare set as I like to have spares just in case. Echlin points is what they gave me and they are absolute garbage. I was also having some issues with the flathead Ford V8 in the Hot Rod so I pulled the dizzy to have a looky-look on that. The dual points in that were completely shot; not due to wearing out as they had less than 4000 miles on them. The contacts weren't even matching up. They were misaligned and were just horrible. Now, mind you, I had that dizzy built for me by the best in the business, GMC Bubba. Disgusted, I called Pertronix up and switched the flatty over to electronic ignition. Damn thing runs better now than it ever has. Actually took it for a two hour drive yesterday and it ran flawlessly. I just figured that if even Bubba (who no longer builds dizzy's) can't get good points nowadays then it's time to give up on them. Soooo...when the NOS set of points I have in the truck wear out, I'm going to switch it over to the Pertronix or maybe even go with an HEI dizzy in the truck. The darn 235 will probably just run forever so the 283 swap is not likely to happen anytime soon. Lol

I like points. I grew up on points. I have no issues running them as long as I can get a good set of them but that is becoming a very real problem. I don't want to hassle with trying to find a GOOD set of NOS points every time I need them. Remember, even back in the day some of the points manufacturers made garbage too. We always looked for the right brand of points when doing tune-ups even then. Sorry for the long winded post, but you asked so....

Happy New Year to all on this board. You guys are awesome.

Andy

vwnate1 likes this.
  15. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

Not a rant at all Andy
    I was told to use blue streak points that’s what’s in my 53 with a 235 I have a pertronix ignition set up a couple of summers ago I bought a pertronix ignition came with a distributor new cap,rotor,plug wires,spark plugs,flame thrower coil just bought a set of ac delco plugs that will go in even if I don’t use pertronix.
    I’ve been reading good and bad about pertronix so I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to use it or sell it .I don’t need anymore set backs and boy have I had them water pump went out fuel pump went out junk in the newer fuel tank (bad gas) from setting. Tryed duel carburetors didn’t work didn’t have matching carburetors apparently have p/s rack rebuilt I put a
    Jaguar xj6 IFS bolted it in.having a few electrical issues maybe a blown fuse hopefully.
    Other than that truck wise all good here.
    Glad to hear from you .
    Robert

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE : contact breaker points

Yes, they're simple and mostly reliable but any breakerless ignition will be worlds better than points because they drive the coil to it's full out put unlike points & condensor .

The failures of Pertronix Ignitors and the Chinese copies is almost always due to user mistakes ~ you need to closely match the coil's primary resistance to the device and also the voltage to the coil as well as polarity .

Leaving the key on whilst you fool with something else will fry almost any ignition, even points ~ if the points are closed and you leave the key on it can overheat the coil and cause it to explode making a big mess .

READ and FOLLOW the instructions .

17. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Back in "the good old days", when points were all we had, the wear surfaces of the points were precious metal, Palladium as I recall. The stuff takes making/breaking an electrical connection without pitting or tarnishing. Palladium doesn't grow on trees. And it is expensive. Hence the crappy points available today.

Even if a hoard of NOS points was uncovered in a tiny garage, electronic ignition still wins.

For more on this topic... Automotive History: Electronic Ignition – Losing the Points, Part 1

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    vwnate1 likes this.