New To The Forum

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Raz76, May 14, 2012.

1. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Hey whats up guys. My name's Ray and Im from Oklahoma City. Im almost 36, married and have two awesome kids. I recently bought a 1950 GMC and looking to build it. Found this forum looking for stuff for my new truck and thought Id give it a shot. Looking forward to learn new things about my new toy. First I want to get an s10 frame, Mustang II front suspension, either shorten then bed and cab steps or trade someone for the 1/2 stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Welcome to the site! Great choice in trucks, GMC. I'm building a '50 GMC as well. Have had it since 2007... I'll add a couple of pictures in this post as well. Mine's going back together as 'close to original'.You can find out virtually anything you want to know about our trucks on this site. Some of these guys, (not necessarily me), know every minute detail. I think Nate built most of the trucks we are now rebuilding :D

Attached Files:

3. Zig

Zig Member

Always nice to see yet another GMC!!! Does my heart good.
    I have a 3/4 ton like yours and will be shedding the back end for a better gear ratio/6-lug axle. Changed the front to 1/2 ton so I can put disc brakes up front. I'm leaving the mighty 228 until it gives up the ghost. At which time I will install a V8. (I'd love to find a 283..)
    Anyway, WELCOME, and keep us posted!

4. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Welcome to the site...we have a lot of fun here.

5. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

Welcome Ray!

Nice start there! You have found a wealth of knowledge here.
    One question that comes to mind for me... are you planning an S-10 frame AND mustang II suspension, or is that an either/or?

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Ray, Good looking G you got there, is the factory engine still in it?
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Why use Mustang II suspension if you are using a S10 frame?....:eek:

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome Ray! Nice project. Have fun with it!

9. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Yes and starts. I would have been able to drive it home but the guy I bought it from had installed some aftermarket wheel on the passenger side and the tie rod rubs the wheel lip bad. Another thing , doesn't have brakes and I haven't had the time to see whats up yet or where and whats what. All I know is that it has very minimal rust, one cab corner has a small spot, the floor board as usual and the wood in the bed is pretty bad. I do want the short bed so Im not real concerned with that.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  10. Raz76

Raz76 Member

That's just the info I have gathered in a week. That is all the knowledge I have about these trucks. Im a newbie but have automotive knowledge and I can weld..lol. That is why I joined this forum, it seemed like a great place to learn what's what. The guy I bought it from suggested that I do the 1985 Reg Cab Long bed S-10 frame with the Mustang II front suspension, I was like cool, thanks. So what do you guys suggest??

11. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Here are some more pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The regular cab longbed s10 fits the shortbed. You would have to extend the frame or go to a shortbed to fit your truck. If your frame is in good shape use a MII front end, I like Fatman...its on mine. Find a rear end like a 4x4 s10, I used to use a 90 ford crown vic, now I have a 95 Tbird IRS.

13. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Im going to shorten it or just get a new 1/2 bed and steps. I don't want to keep the long bed.

14. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

A cheeeeeeep and fairly easy way to go is using a 68-73 rear steer Camaro front clip or Nova clip. The rear steer will keep your steering column at the right angle. Then you will have V8 motor mounts, power steering and you can have disc brakes too. On my truck I used a Jim meyar front end because it used GM brakes instead of mustang. It has tubular A arms, rack and pinion steering and Avo coil over shocks.... Big Tim :cool:

15. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Welcome to the forums! Great truck... looking forward to more photos and please keep us updated on your progress.

My two cents: Original condition part preservation is the way to go. If you have a good long bed, keep it intact and trade it for a short bed in the same condition.

Awesome stuff... can't wait to hear more about your plans.

Damon

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I like the long bed, comes in handy. DON'T clip it! It is cheap on the front end, but in the long run cost much time and $ replacing bushings and doing a frontend rebuild. Fatman can set you up with chevy or ford bolt pattern.

Mine....
    [​IMG]

17. Raz76

Raz76 Member

That looks sweeet!!

18. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I don't even know where to start.

19. Zig

Zig Member

That's even better~

I jumped in thinking V8. Thankfully, I didn't have money to throw at it, otherwise I wouldn't have had such well laid plan. (IMO)
    These guys helped set my path.
    Some of it came by having an adult beverage and just sitting in it and thinking. (Not sitting in the beverage, but the truck...) (I figured I'd have to make that clear for "some") :rolleyes:
    TAKE your time. Read, ask, ask again.
    Check the sticky thread Russ has at the top of the page. GREAT step-by-step with GREAT photos!
    Whatever you decide, take all the pictures BEFORE and after.

20. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I didn't know where to start either, I just jumped in with both feet. The folks here have been extremely helpful with getting my project off the ground. Zig's right... keep asking questions. You'll find answers that will guide you. I've also done what Zig has suggested, both with having an adult beverage, and0 sitting in the truck to think about the project. Maybe I'll try sitting in the adult beverage, and see where that gets me...

Damon