newB from NW Iowa

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 48long3804, Feb 5, 2009.

1. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

Salutations fellow truckers! Thanks to Tailgater for directing me to your forum. This might be a lengthy intro, but it's easier to tell the story now than to piece it together in later posts.

My truck: was a gift to me from my wife's grandpa. He bought it when it was a few years old and it has been his farm truck for +50 years. It's solid and in good shape. It has some wrinkles, small dents and only has rusted through at the front fender hangers. Other than grandpa painting it red because he didn't like the original green, a couple of engine swaps (not sure if it presently has a 230 or 235) and the box has diamond deck welded over the original wood (still under the deck) the truck is original. I found a 1934 truck sales book when cleaning out grandpa's house. One page in it was full of his documentation of motor swaps, machining notes, etc on the truck.:cool: The book is still packed away safely...will find it again when we finish moving in.

Since it is kind of a family heir loom to the wife, we are going to try to keep it about 80-90% original. We're considering a brighter green paint job, perhaps a chrome grill (gotta love shiny parts!) and I used to be a Hobby Stock dirt track racer, so I have a couple souped up 350's layin' around waiting for a home. The engine doesn't come to life until somewhere over 3500 RPMs, so the 5.14 ratio doesn't concern me...engine (Buz) used to run with a 6.20 gear ratio in the stock car. I know, different application on the street, but what the hay-wind her up and let her sing!

My other toy is an '82 Jaguar XJ6. Bought it for $1500 in Oklahoma-not running, only 32,000 miles. Got it to run just fine, but I have another 350 with lightened crankshaft, 6" eagle rods, KB flat tops, but plan on putting in a milder cam with Rhoads lifters to smooth it out.

Some pix...sorry they're not too clear, taken in the machine shed. The truck is stuck in the barn right now, but I promise I'll get better pix in spring when the snow melts away from blocking the doors. See ya around!:D

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Welcome

Lots of information here. Dig into SEARCH on starting up the old inline 6 and the different rear end gearing. Also some good recent posts to read about digging in and getting started. Before you know it the snow will be melted and we can get back to it. :D

3. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

Thanks Larry. The inline 6 that's in it runs great-it's a Chevy!:D She's a solid truck that I have only driven a bit. My time has been focused on rennovating grandpa-in-law's 100 yr old house...3 long years and finally living in it! Now we are almost ready to focus our attention on the truck.:)

Sorry about the oversize pix-I should have previewed before posting! It's kind of painful scrolling right and left to read.:eek:

4. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Same Truck +-

I'd drive her for a while if you can and then decide. Looks great to me as is.

I tore mine down to the nuts and bolts before enjoying it. Now---18 mos. later, :rolleyes: I'm still gettin it back together. It'll be nice when I'm done but wish I'd considered it in more detail. Rookie mistake, I'm sure, This is my first.

Rick

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

6 Banger Engine

SAVE that old engine ! there's a guy here who's looking for one and will prolly give you $100.00 for it if it runs .

6. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

The 230 has hydraulic lifters. You can tell by the 2 part lifter cover on the distributer side of the engine. The old engines have a 1 piece cover. If you change to a V8 it would be a 20% modified from stock at your start. All these trucks are is a running gear and body. Just for loving simplicity and we all love them like we want them.

7. Zig

Zig Member

100 year old homes...

Buddy, I can relate to the renovate! I wish I was one of those that didn't know how to work with wood~ Think of the free time I would have had!:p

No apologies needed on pictures being "over sized". That's just the way we like them!:D

Gater got you to this site???:rolleyes:

Welcome, 48! Good luck!

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Thinwall " InLine 6 Bangers

ALL of these engine , 194 , 230 , 250 and the legendary 292 have a spin on oil filter protruding from the right front parts of the block .

They're fine engines if a little delicate about poor oil changes .

Millions of 292's were built with the Muncie SM420 four speed tranny and this makes a potent , work oriented drivetrain that's also fuel efficient .

9. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

thank you

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been looking around this forum and have found a lot of great stuff already-thanks to all who post. My biggest turn off with most forums is lack of respect. This seems to be a clean forum without all the petty, childish garbage...I like that a lot. You don't have to agree with someone, but you don't have to be a jerk about it either-thanks for the respect.

My father-in-law claims this I6 doesn't have an oil filter(?). I have honestly only had the hood open a couple of times and never really looked at it! Like I said, I haven't had a lot of time to comb it over for details:(.

IMO if the engine isn't a numbers matching 216 it's not original anyway, so why not put in something I have, know a lot about and have oodles of parts for? I will be more than happy to sell the existing good running I6 w/tranny for more than a reasonable price to anyone on here. That way I'll be sure it finds a good home. That probably won't be for a year or more though. I certainly respect your opinions about keeping the 6, but I'm kind of bull-headed and have already made up my mind about the powerplant. I think the original 216 is in the 40 ton pile of scrap that grandpa left for us in the north part of the acreage. If I come across it I'll let anyone have it for the price of shipping...it will likely be junk, but perhaps a sleeve job can rescue the block; and the crank????who knows?

My goals are based on maintaining the basic original appearance, not a complete restoration, renovation, or super rod. This is still going to be a working truck, not a show car, trailer queen or purists dream. Chevy made trucks that run and work hard and I'm planning on continuing that tradition in my own way, without damaging the body or frame...I hope. I come from dirt track racing and rat rods, so be gentle on my lack of puritanism. A guys vehicle is an expression of himself and that's what I'm going for. If Chevy had the small block back in '48 it would have probably been in this truck, so in my little mind I'm just taking their best advanced design chassis & body and marrying it with their best engine-the SBC.:D

Yes, you can blame Gater for directing me here! I found his truck on Stovebolt and sent him an email. His reply contained a link here. You guys sure know your Chevys!:cool:

Paul

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

Welcome!!!

This forum is a lot of fun, everybody here is very helpful, and not rude! Everybody is more then helpful, and very knowledgeable.

Don't forget us GMC Guys also.!!!!:D

11. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

No worries, I don't discriminate between GM & Chevy...one in the same to me.
    Yeah, way more knowledge than I could ever absorb & good guys with lots of respect & experience. I like it already!

12. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Let's see now, we have 48long3804, rix48, cchar and me with loooonnnggg bed 3800's. Watch out Zig, it won't be long before we have you G-Men outnumbered!
    Gater

13. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

2 things Paul!

#1, I'd never blame Tailgater for turning anyone on to this site. After all, he's a fellow Vol;)

#2, listen to your father-in-law because he is right on about the oil filter! Chevy offered them as options, but did not install them as a regular part of the engine.

I'm glad that you've picked up on the fact that this is a good forum that deals with issues, has fun and doesn't judge people. In my opinion, that makes it top-notch! I've enjoyed the guys here and have learned a helluva lot of things from them. Don't be afraid to contribute, share, or call BS on anything here, because there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing (pics) more from you!

Ken

14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't let Zig hear you say that.

15. Zig

Zig Member

Now, Bill~ You KNOW I would NEVER bring up that most excellent post that showed how much more valuable a GMC was over a Chevy!:rolleyes:

:D

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome,
    Sorry about not seeing this before, senior moments are happening faster and faster for me lately. Nice Looking Truck you have.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Charles ~

Don't feel bad , my brain is farting worse than my butt these days :(

Life goes on tho' :D

18. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Nate,
    Which the forgetting would slow some.

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Solution

Is to go drive your truck more :D

It really does help .

:cool:

20. ccharr

ccharr Member

I think that is really what I'll do, need to get drive time in it. :)
    Today I'll see just how good the wipers work. :eek: