Newbie here, saying HI, and got a q

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by GER, Mar 9, 2004.

1. GER

GER Member

Hi everyone, glad to find a site devoted to these great trucks! I have a mostly all original 1980 GMC Sierra Classic-Heavy Half. My parents bought this truck new and I've owned it for the last few years. It has a stock 350, turbo 400 trans., and is just about fully loaded. The truck is in decent shape, but of course there are a few things that need attention. I would like to replace the fuel tanks as they have started leaking. Does the box need to come off the truck to replace the fuel tanks, or will the tanks drop down. Is there anything else I should look for or do when I am changing these tanks? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: Newbie here, saying HI, and got

Yes you can change the tanks without removing the bed. I would check the senders and make sure they look in good shape. You don't want to have to drop the tanks again to replace the senders.

3. GER

GER Member

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

4. GER

GER Member

Well, I was looking at the fuel tanks tonite, and some things got me wondering?
    1- To me it looks like I have to remove the truck box because there are the fuel lines on top of the tanks where the senders are. It doesn't look like the tanks will come down far enough to unhook those lines as they are quite short.
    2- If I do not have to remove the box, can I drop them tanks with the truck on the ground, or do I need to lift the truck up on a hoist or something?
    3- There are two different tanks available, a 16 gallon, and a 20 gallon. (43x14x11 for the 16gal.) and (56x14x11 for the 20 gal.) I measured the height at the back of one of the tanks still in the truck, and it comes out around 11". That is about what I get for the width too. Now the length comes out to 54-55". Is this right? If I have the long tank, (56") my tanks should hold 20 gallons. Well I filled it up last week, and I managed to squeeze 66 liters in it. (I'm in Canada) 66 liters=17.4 gallons. Now I'm sure I overfilled it a tad, but if these were 16 gallon tanks why are they 54"+ long????
    Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks.

5. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

we have a chevy pick box trailer that I took the the tanks off,it was a while ago but it dosent seem like it was that hard.but thats probaley cause there wasent a cab.Karl

________
    Bong Pictures

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. bigd

bigd Member

yeah ger you can jack up the truck a little bit so you can fit under it lower your tank enough so you can reach in and disconnect the lines and electrical it is a bit tight but it can be done, use a floor jack to hold up the tank while you are disconnecting it.Change the lines and make them longer so it is easier to reinstall.you can email me privately and i will tell you more, i just changed mine and there is more info that you need to know.
    Bigd Wpg Mb Canada