newbie with 50 gmc pickup

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wingnut53, May 5, 2014.

1. wingnut53

wingnut53 Member

Hi,
    I am helping a friend who has asked me to rebuild the brakes on his 50 Gmc pickup. This has the old style huck brakes.
    the question I have is related to the brake hold down hardware. According to the info I have,there are springs,and retaining pins that secure the brake shoes to the backing plates? Anyway,I don't see where the holdown pins are secured to the backing plates. Are there supposed to be holes in the backing plates for these? These backing plates don't have any holes where I would thing these spring are secured. Appreciate any help. Tom

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

The holes are tiny and at the 3 and 9 o'clock position on the backing plate and a bugger to install. The springs are sold by our host.

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy your ride while here.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Huck Brakes

I believe you're looking for brake shoe hold down springs which Huck brakes do not use because the shoe proper is pinned at one end .

The special bendable washer used to the end of the brake shoes can be purchased from Chevs Of The 40s in Washington State .

Chevrolet Obsolete in Georgia , has very good photos of how everything fits to - gether .