No more carburetors

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:54 PM.

1. coilover

coilover Member

If you bring one in with wood spoke wheels, acetylene gas lights, tube tires, and a hand crank we might consider it because they are of the same degree of development as a carburetor but anything else is getting a FiTech self tuning throttle body. Idles and runs dead smooth, built for what now passes as gasoline, not sensitive to heat or cold, gives an exact 14.5 to 1 air/fuel mixture at any speed or any altitude, and gives a long trouble free no leak life. Have not had a single complaint or comeback on any install. There is now a 2bbl unit for I4 and I6 cylinder engines so why rub two sticks together when matches are available.

2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Not familiar with them - how do they look, period correct?

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

4. coilover

coilover Member

Bill called it but in my case the old body has matching old innards but back to the truck subject; the FiTech has a carburetor look albeit a Holley or Autolite one. For a hot rod look Holley also makes a self tuning electronic injector unit(Sniper) that somewhat resembles an old Tunnel Ram (photo) but we much prefer the FiTech. For a factory manifold one can use a 2bbl to 1bbl adapter that has a minimum 3" of transition length but an after market intake if better. The Holley EFI pictured is in a 54 3100.

Attached Files:

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Curious for those of us with lets say a small block Chevy... how much money are we talking to swap to a FiTech self tuning throttle body? A grand, 2 grand?

6. coilover

coilover Member

Big range to choose from but most choose either the 400hp or 600hp system. Also the vendor prices vary a lot but for one that can do the work on his own and use a regular frame mount fuel pump you can get home for near the $1000. Summit has these kits for $800 that includes the fuel pump. Speedway has a kit for the novice that is $1700. If you can mount the pump, wire it in, and run the feed and return lines you have a big jump on savings. The 02 sensor bung needs welded into the head pipe but the wire harness is so simple I don't even have to send Bill Hanlon an SOS. It is truly self tuning so no laptop is needed.