No Oil Pressure!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bilbo, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

How long can you idle an engine without any oil pressure? Looks like the pickup fell off of the oil pump after assembly, while turning the engine over and back on an engine stand before installation. When I filled it with oil I poured it into the rocker cover real fast so it could run down through pretty much all the passages. This is a '55, 235 six cyl. What do you all think? :confused:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No Oil

Only two ways to find out : run it and wait , if you ' wiped ' the bearings or toasted the rings / pistons , you'll soon know .

OTOH , these are prettty sturdy engines so me , I'd check and adjust every possible thing then run it , not like you're going to hurt it any worse .

My bet is it'll smoke a bit but be fine otherwise .

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Thanks Nate. I was kinda counting on Your expertise on the issue. I'm feeling pretty OK about it as it didn't run very long, and only at idle (where they don't make much pressure either). I'll make the repairs, and do like you suggested. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Truck running, after 2 years dormant.

OK, I found that when I had removed the distributor, and I installed it, I missed the oil pump drive,( boy do I feel stupid). I had removed the vacuum advance too so I didn't have the location referenced as to how far the dist. should insert. Problem solved there. Good oil pressure now. No knocking, for what it's worth. BTW, this is a 1955 235 engine. I'm hopeful that I didn't do much damage. Runs really smooth, too. Timing set, carb adjusted, will need to adjust lifters, as they are hydraulic. Started in about 2 seconds, with the Pertronics ignition. Checked centrifugal, and vacuum advance as well.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hydraulic Valve Adjustment

Go to Deve's site , it's there .