No oil pressure

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51papy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 51papy

51papy Member

I finally fired the 53 this evening. Motor has set for 8 years. I heard it run. I shot some fog in cylinders and rolled it with no plugs, put the plugs in and it fired up with no oil pressure. I did forget to fill the oil filter it was about half full when I installed the new filter (changed oil) the oil filter was full after the motor had run a couple of minutes. There was a little bit of oil dripping off the middle rockers but not near enough IMO. The rockers and shaft are covered in thick crud. Should I disassemble pull the tube and start cleaning or do I have bigger issues? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Papy

2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

You definitely don't want to run it with no oil pressure.
    This video shows what is (I hope) a healthy 235, for comparison.
    Of course, there's a lot more oil after it warms up than when everything's cold.

Start with fresh, clean oil; and crank it with no spark until you get good oil flow from the rockers.
    If you do need help getting it cleaned up, I like this stuff.

3. 51papy

51papy Member

I wish my top end looked that clean! My son in law was telling me about that stuff. Going out tomorrow and going to find an oil pressure gauge just to check the old gauge. Read Bilbo's thread think I'll find a bottle brush and go to cleaning. If it pumped oil to the filter it has to be pumping oil. The motor sounded good even the son in law agreed and he's a Honda guy.

Thanks
    Papy

4. 51papy

51papy Member

Location in block of oil pressure line

The oil pressure tubing is plumbed into a tee. The other end of the tee has the feed line for the filter. Is this correct?

Thanks
    Papy

5. 51papy

51papy Member

Oil pump question

Hello all

After cleaning up the rockers and shaft I got oil to the top end. Then about an inch of sludge was removed from the pan. Ran sea foam through it and changed the oil pump with a new melling pump. Oil pressure is still about 18 lbs at high idle and maybe 3-4 lbs at idle. 58 235

I was talking with an old hot rodder-machinist today and he told me to pull the pressure relief spring and stretch it out about a quarter inch to increase the pressure. He said it would fill the cavity created by worn bearings and it would make the motor last a little longer. I've known this guy for about 10 years and seen his work on the road and in the sky. Has anyone done this? Are there any pro's or con's?

Thanks
    Papy

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Stretching the spring won't make any difference until the oil pressure exceeds the amount that the spring was supposed to regulate at. I think (but not well, I'm old) that the 58 Chevy 6 was regulated to 35 PSI.

7. 51papy

51papy Member

Bill

When I got home I broke the old oil pump down and took a look...I agree. I don't see that it would build any pressure as the relief valve is in the output side of the pump and path of least resistance is out to the motor. I was hoping to push a little more than 3 lbs at warm idle. I have read Nate's posts on old worn out motors running a long time. What is just "about to give up" pressure? Or will Nate tell me to jump in and ride cause it's bullet proof?

Thanks
    Papy

8. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

18 psi at "high idle", and 3-4 at "idle"?

Two things I'd be curious about -- is your gage right,
    and how slow is your idle?

If you have good (clearly visible) oil flow at the rockers at idle, I would think you're good to go.

One more thought - what weight oil are you running?
    If it's something light (10w30), try stepping up to a 20w50.

9. 51papy

51papy Member

Rides

Running 10w-30 I did get a new oil pressure gauge and installed after the new pump went in and I cleaned the tee fitting on the block. I have oil on the top at a high idle very little seeping at idle. Don't know what the idle speed is but it is about what it should be by sound. The oil pick up screen was intact but it looked like it had been sucked up. This old farm truck I got the motor from may not have had the best care. Short of new bearings (or complete rebuild) not sure what else I can do.

Thanks
    Papy

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oil Pressure / Volume

As you have oil weeping out the rockers @ idle , you're good to go .

Do take the time to disassemble the oil oil pump and inspect it , often the new Melling pumps are poorly made and have low pressure .

Never , EVER stretch the oil pressure relief spring ! .

Some times the valve proper gets wear in it and replacing that helps a bit but short of replacing the bearing shells you're not going to get much pressure out of a 235/261 .

Most of the time it's the wobbly old cam bearings that loose the most oil pressure .

As long as you have oil weeping out the rockers everything is jake .

Remember to use good quality thin oils and CHANGE it occasionally , even if you only drive it on weekends .

11. 51 papy

51 papy Member

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a few more things to sort out and new tires on the stock rims and I'll be ready to roll. I am not good about taking pictures but my better half took these.

Attached Files:

12. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Nice paint job!

13. 51papy

51papy Member

Thanks

Thanks

You don't get to pick your son-in-laws but my daughters have done very well.

Papy