Offenhauser Install

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fab51, Mar 8, 2013.

1. fab51

fab51 Member

After many years of wanting one, last January I ordered an Offenhauser dual carb intake. I messed around a bit trying to get matched carbs, but wasn't having any luck finding anything usable in my price range. So, I shelved the project until about a month ago. I was able to pick up a good rebuildable Carter YF 2101S to match what was already on the 235. So...after a few days of tinkering around with minor stuff, I jumped in this morning and got the job done. Everything worked out fine, except I need to tweak the linkage a bit. Otherwise, it is great! I can't believe the difference in the way it runs!

Now, without further hesitation, here are the pictures...

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      296.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      284.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      247.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      260.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      270.5 KB
      Views:
  2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Very nice!

3. 1951chevy1ton

1951chevy1ton Member

I want to hire you

To split my exhaust. Looks real good and you retained the heat riser. What address should I send my exhaust manifold to?? The entire setup looks great.

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Looks Awesome.

Time to update your signature line :):

'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Dual Carter YF Carb's, Offy Dual Intake and Split Manifold

5. ctzr1

ctzr1 Member

I wish I could get one for my '49 GMC 228
    Looks great

6. fab51

fab51 Member

Thanks Everybody

for the kind words.

@1951chevy1ton-I can't take credit for anything more than writing a check for the manifold. On the Inliner's web site www.inliners.org , Kansas Kustoms has (or had) an ad. If you sent him your manifold and somewhere around $160-180 (I can't remember now, its been almost 10 years since I sent it off), he would split it for you and sent it back. You could choose whether he split it in front of the heat riser or behind. And, it isn't just an outlet welded in. It is completely split into two separate pieces.

@Lakeroadster-Done and done. Thanks for the remider. :)

@ctzr1-I don't know if they still make them, but back in the day there were those nifty Howards (I believe) intakes that would take up to five carbs. I think they took carbs with 3 bolt bases, though. They had block off plates for the unused flanges, so you could run 2, 3 or all 5.

Hey Nate... I've read several places where you recommended running a return spring for each carb. Forgive my ignorance, but to where are you running the spring. I don't have this set up yet, but it is terribly evident that I need to. It idles waaaaaaayyyy too high most of the time.

Thanks to everyone in the past that has posted concerning this upgrade! I've been able to glean a huge amount of information that has made my experience nothing but pure enjoyment. :D

7. Zig

Zig Member

Envy~ I have envisioned 2 carbs on my 228 for years now. Our intake choices aren't as numerous as the Chevy blocks. The only intake I'm aware of that is made for a 228 is one that Patrick's has.
    OR, you could make something like Big Jim from Tim Town made for his ride, if you're skilled that way.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Blue Flame Special

Looking very good there ! :) .

The return spring should be added wherever you think works well , it's important to use two identical springs , I like weak springs that have lots and lots of coils , the larger diameter , the better the throttle feel .

I like to attach the return springs to the carby's throttle arm proper , often this requires using a rather long spring .

Of course you know to adjust the primary balance @ idle with the carbys disconnected from each other , then attach the throttle rods and adjust so when the accelerator pedal touches the floor mat , the throttle plates are vertical when viewed down the carby throat .

Try not to break the rear end :p .

You're now a Gen-YOU-Whine CHEVROLET Hot Rodder ! .