oil filter keeps blowing

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 654x4, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 654x4

654x4 Member

please help built a1967 327, engine starts fine, runs about four seconds and blows the oring away from oil fiter. what have i done wrong

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

That's something that I never heard of before..Are you sure your using the correct oil filter? And is it tight enough without over tightening.
    Bob

3. 654x4

654x4 Member

yes i check the oil filter by application, i dont think i over tighten it. after 10 quarts of oil and two filters i decided to ask. instead of wasting time and money

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Since you just rebuilt it, I would guess an oil passage is blocked somewhere.
    Make sure there is no obstruction at the oil filter mount. and like the man upstairs said, verify you have the correct oil filter.

dv

5. markeb01

markeb01 Member

It sounds like the oil filter bypass valve may be defective, or damaged, or may not be bolted on in the correct clock position (if this is possible). They are suppose to relieve/reroute pressurized oil back into the engine if the filter becomes plugged. The following link shows what it looks like:

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=18879

6. dado

dado Member

Could the block surface have paint on it that may have captured the previous oil filters rubber seal ? Just a thought .

7. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

I think Mark has nailed it, oil pressure relieve spring is stuck in the closed position, its just above the oil filter boss on the side of the block, you`ll need an allen head or square plug wrench to remove the plug and pull the spring and check ball out, your oil pressure probably went to 300 lbs to blow the o ring out..

8. 654x4

654x4 Member

thanks for all the help. just crawled out from under the motor. had to replace the oil filter adapter it waS CRACKED IN HALF AND REPLACED THE OIL PUMP THE valve in oil pump was stuck. again thanks for the help

9. markeb01

markeb01 Member

If you're talking about a spin on oil filter adapter, be sure to check it at each oil change. Back in the 70's I had one on a 283 in my 54 Chevy sedan. The adapter cracked, allowing the filter to loosen and fall off at speed. I noticed the oil pressure was at zero when I started hearing the rods knocking. Spun the rod bearings and wiped out the crank. I was lucky all I needed was a new crank and set of bearings.

It may have been the only time in history it's ever happened, but if I were to run one of those spin on adapters ever again I'd keep an eye on it.