oil problem

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 76chevydutydude, May 14, 2002.

1. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

Hello, i have a 76 chevy c20 long bed. I'm only 16 and still very new to working on my truck (or any other vehicle) and i have a moderate amout of smoke coming out of my tail pipes and im leaking some oil on the ground. My father wasnt to helpful and my moms friend is a honda guy who can hardly even check his tire preasure.

2. Craig

Craig Guest

Is the smoke coming out of the tailpipes or from the engine? If its the engine its probably valve cover gaskets or oil pan seals.Hopefully its just valve covers cause thats fairy easy to fix.

3. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

the smoke is not coming from the valve covers. there's no smoke coming from under the hood. its all coming from my dual tail pipes

4. Craig

Craig Guest

If the smoke comes out the tailpipes,then it indicates that the rings are worn.If rebuilding isn't a option right now,you might look at using a little thicker oil.

5. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

Okay, Thanks Craig.

Oh yeah, how thick should the oil be, and the leaking oil is becuase of the worn rings also, right?

:p So much to learn, so little money to do it with:p

6. Craig

Craig Guest

Can you tell where the oil is coming from? Use some simple green to try and clean it up alittle.

7. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

The oil seems to be leaking from either the the top edge of the oil pan, or higher i would have tried to get a better look by putting the truck on jacks :) but i live in an apt building and where not alowed to work on the cars in the building drive ways.:-(

8. Craig

Craig Guest

You might have a oil pan seal leaking.If its coming from the top of the motor its just valve cover gaskets.They are fairy easy to change.And next time you change your oil switch to a 20w50 oil.It will help a little on the smoke from the tailpipe.

9. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-18-02 AT 01:53 PM (CST)]Thanks for all the help Craig. Well, I geuss I should go a find exactly where the oil is coming from, and hopfully its just the valve cover gasket, I've changed some of those (on another truck).:+

Oh yeah, i was also wandering is there a way to tell what the original colors of my truck were?

10. kzcollectr

kzcollectr Member

Well I've got a 76 and have had many others over the years.The important thing is to always maintain the oil level.Many easy fixes have turned out to be blown engines for this reason.Thicker oil will help in the consumption in the tailpipe department. new gaskets such as valve covers,intake manifold,oil pan and other seals will result in the leakage.My valve cover was leaking resulting in a loss of a quart in 250 miles.As a rule chevy engines are very tough and will handle alot of abuse.(KEY:keep oil level up and dont over heat em.)I once had a 74 cheyanne super 20 with 300.000 miles that my friend drove from connecticut to florida and back.It burned a quart every 125 miles.A couple of cases of oil later and plenty of fuel it returned unharmed.;-)

11. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

Thats a relief to know that other's have engines that burn oil. its also a relif to know that as long as i keep the oil level up that it should make a long trip, I have to drive 300 miles north of
    San Fransico Bay Area with a Honda Gold Wing in the bed and possibly pulling a car on a trailer (only a sm. Kia). BOY I HOPE I MAKE IT IN ONE PIECE. ;)

12. banjo

banjo Member

most small blocks eat the valve guides long before the rings. i jest pulled a 74 sb400 that smoked and leaked but when we took it apart there was no ridge or wear on the cylinders the cross hatching was still highly visiable with no uneven wear marks.

as your driving your truck look in your rear view mirror if the smoke is worse under heavy exceleration it's the rings. if the smoke increases when you are coasting down a long hill at high speed, then it's your valve guides. if you get a valve job have your guides cut for umbrella seals

most of the small block oil comes from the back nof the valve covers and it runs down the back over the casting numbers around the oil filter and down the pan by the dip stick. reach down and feel behind the drivers side valve cover and feel whats there (when the motors cold) if your hand is dirty it's an oil leak.

13. 76chevydutydude

76chevydutydude Member

When i run my fingers down the heads just below the passenger side valve cover i can feel i little oil