Oil -vs- Synthetic/Synthetic Blend-

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by JustAJimmyGirl, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JustAJimmyGirl

JustAJimmyGirl Member

Hi All!
    -New Jummy Loving member here!
    -It time to change the oil in my 1985 Jimmy 4x4, I have a 350 w/4bbl,and about 160k miles on it. I have been considering a change from the "norm" engine oil to one of the higher mileage oils or even the truck/suv blend oil. (i.e. Pennzoil)
    -Does anyone have any opinion, feedback or suggestions? The reason for considering this change is of course, the age/miles on the engine, I still have an oil leak that we have not yet detected the true source. And also because I use the full synthetic in my 96 Cougar and started that after hearing how it saved the engine in my dad's Chevy Z71 Offroad when my mom drove it through the mountains home during a very bad snow storm. She saw the oil light come on but did not want to stop and lose sight of the big rig she was following. There was basically almost no oil left in the truck.
    :( x( (bad mom!)
    -I am also asking for your feedback because I have read that some oil leaks/burning has decreased when making the switch.
    -Looking forward to any advice! I enjoy doing the work on my Jimmy both under the hood and restoring the body. I'm not a girl afraid to get greasy because when my Jimmy is running happy, I'm happy!
    Thanks!
    Tina

2. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

RE: Oil -vs- Synthetic/Synthetic Bl

Hello Jimmy Tina, I just changed mine to 20/50 Castrol and added one can of Engine Restore for V-8's...I have the same motor and approx. same miles as you...I got the advise from an old man and thought I would try it...:9

3. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Just remember once you change for regular oil to synthetic YOU CAN NOT CHANGE BACK TO REGULAR OIL it will gunk up your oil pump, if I where you I would dump some 10-40 castrol regular oil in there and be done. By the way don't buy a FRAM oil filter, they tend to colapse.

4. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

Do I need to continue using engine restore at every oil change ? Thanks for the info..