Okay, now what?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by aimless, Nov 17, 2008.

1. aimless

aimless Member

So my '65 did not sell. I still have a lot of parts for her that I bought but never installed simply because I had planned to sell it. But now that its going to still be mine for a while I'd like to get that stuff done. Questions:

1. How in the world do you get the sun visors onto the rods? The fit was so tight I actually broke a rod trying to force the visor on. Any ideas to make it easier?

2. Got new shocks. Would you say those are just bolt on? I went to O'Reily and the old guy behind the counter said they'd work.

3. I ordered rubber bushings that are supposed to fit into the ends of the suspension arms and help cushion any contact between the ends of the arms and the overload leaf springs... the ones I ordered are too small, won't plug the whole. Suggestions?

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I first made sure the rod was as straight as could be. Use the old roll the pool cue across the table thing.. Then, I rubbed the rod down with candle wax and worked it on. It was still troublesome, but they did eventually get there.

Hard to say... If they are the correct height they should just bolt on.

I think I ordered mine through LMC and they fit good..

Val

3. aimless

aimless Member

As always, D, thanks for the excellent help!

4. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

I agree with VAL, and if the candle wax dont work; even though its messy I used bearing grease ; seemed to work fine.

5. Vin63

Vin63 Member

As D Val mentioned, wax will work well, but if you don't want to get in trouble with the significant other by using her candles...:D

...you can use some silicone lubricant or dry lubricant. I used silicone lubricant that I had around the shop for my last set of visor installs. Go slowly. Good luck.

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

On my first set I did use a dry graphite lube. They went on good, but then they would not stay in the UP position when driving ! Drove me NUTS !!

On the wax thing, I just rubbed a non-Lit candle up an down the shaft. ( and NO wise Guys,, I didn't get excited doing it !! ) ;)

Val

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

now thats just damn funny!! :eek:

8. 283 man

283 man Member

thats funny DVal:D...

9. jaybyrd66

jaybyrd66 Member

well i wasnt thinkin it val, but i am now lol

10. aimless

aimless Member

Alright, got the visors on! I didn't have any wax, so I stuck the rods in the freezer for a few hours and blew a hair dryer on the visors just before I mated the two.

Can't say it slipped on real easy, but it was much easier than before!

Taking a break from installing the shocks. I'm sure those were put on at the factory in 1965 as the back ones were a b.... to get off. Now I just got to go out there and put the back ones on! Fronts went off and on real easy!

No word on the bushings yet.