Old trains and old trucks!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kens 50 PU, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

2. BarodaAJ

BarodaAJ Member

Very cool pics. :cool:

3. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Nice shots Ken wonder where that place is in the 1st photo ? Hell of a good looking back ground.

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Heber City, Utah is the place. The picture was taken in Feb last year.

5. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I've only had the chance to see one operating steam engine in my life and what a beautiful site. I love the pics of the truck with the mountains in the back ground. Ken I think you should share the link with the prints. What a find. Just need to get Zig to paint us a few that look that good. What do ya say Zig!

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Make a run to Chattanooga

When Tab gets tired of making runs to Paducah, take her to Chattanooga for a weekend! They have got one of the best train museums in the world! Not to mention an awesome aquarium, and antique wrecker museum. Dang, i sound like a commercial for Tennessee tourism, huh?

7. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

We never get tired of going to Paducah, or at least I don't because I get to hang out with dad and play with my truck. The next trip we're taking is to Vegas. We've never been so I think we're going to fly out in June and say for a week. I've been to chattanooga a few times. I like the town, it's really laid back out there. I'll be driving through there in a few weeks on my way to Atlanta. I may stop off there for a minute or two.

That's okay you can promote the greatest state in the country any day you want. Can't beat it down here. Everybody is friendly (for the most part) and their is lots of things to do here. Big city or Big mountains. take your pick.

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

That truck in the pics must be what my ol gal looked like when she was new, and they are what you call steam engines!
    ________
    Gay Cowboys

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. uncleger

uncleger Member

Aah the smell of steam brings back childhood memories 2 things i allways wanted 1) drive a steam train 2) own a my on 50's pickup Got to drive a steam train for my 50th birthday the grin lasted at least a week Now got the pickup have driven about 10 miles on trade plates for mot and back the long way round , I recon on at least18 months till its finished cant wait, wife say nor can she !!!!!!! some thing about, you never get home early from work normaly but you can for your truck ?

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Life is Good!

Lucky dog! I'd love to drive a steam loco. I guess i'll have to settle right now by saying the only engine i've driven was a GE B23-7. 2300 HP and, although, a dinosaur by today's standards, it sure was fun!

11. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Never driven one but I think I live with one, shes big, old, definately loco and is always steaming when I come in from the garage at 11pm!!!
    ________
    No2 vaporizer

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  12. sloromon

sloromon Member

very cool pictures! thanks for sharing!! they make good backgrounds for my computer!!

jon

13. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Funny you should say that!

I'm using the night shot as my background right now!:D

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

GREAT Pix

And it's nice to know I'm not the only Rail Fan here .

I've only ridden a few steamers but , I live only 2 hours from the world famous Tehachapi Loop on the Southern Pacific Line so I often rattle on out there to watch the trains pass over themselves . (look it up) .

Your truck looks awsome too ! .

Older folks will know there's a multitude of different steam smells : rusty steam (heating system) oily steam from the train , greasy steam from when a big rig blows it's radiator and so on...

15. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Tehachapi, an Engineering Marvel!

Any "foamer" knows Techachapi, SP's claim to fame! Pictures do not do it justice! I almost posted a couple of pics of the loop, but it wouldn't have done it justice. When I get my '50 done, i want to take a "canned" shot of it, waiting at a crossing, on a mixed consist pulled by an EMD FTA-FTB combo (SP of course) in the "Black Widow" paint scheme. EMD, for those not in the know, is ElectroMotive Division of General Motors. '96 was a bad year (or good year, depending on your perspective) for SP. That was the year that the Evil Empire (Union Pacific) swallowed up the proud Southern Pacific!

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

About The Pix

I sent those pix links to my favorite Foamer , his wifey couldn't print them out as they're " protected " somehow ? .

There's still one or two S.P. trains in the blue & yellow paint scheme from the failed Sta Fe merger of some years back.....

I like to chase the trains up the hillfrom Caliente all the way into Tehachipi , gotta go real quick to beat them to the grade crossings tho' :rolleyes: I used to drive my buddy's 1954 Porsche 356 chasing those trains , lotta fun that :D

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Nothing like railroading. I retired from Illinois Central , Was a loco engineer world different but interesting. Cannonball

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I would have guessed Wabash...

with a handle like Cannonball!

19. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Ken,
    That whooshing sound was the sound made when that one went right by some of these younger guys. In 1974 I stood back stage at the Grand Ole Opry ( the "new" one) and watched Roy Acuff sing Wabash Cannonball and Great Speckled Bird. Thanks for dredging up that memory. I was a boy of 18 and I remember when I tried to take a picture of Barbara Mandrell and she was so purty that I froze with her in the viewfinder. When I finally snapped the picture I got the side of her face cause she got tired of waiting for me to take it. Good memories, you can't get enough of them.
    Gater

20. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member