old49chevys restoration thread

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by old49chevy, Dec 1, 2009.

1. old49chevy

old49chevy Member

Hi everyone
    I am starting a restoration thread about my 1949 chevy. I find it motivating when I can see the progress pictures and when people talk about my truck it makes me want to work on it even harder. So please tell me what you guys think about it.

Thanks Jesse

Attached Files:

2. Texas53

Texas53 Member

I'd like to help...

but you should probably just quit where you are and let me take the truck off your hands ;)

Looks like you had a really solid truck to start off with and appear to be off to a great start restoring it. I know sometimes it feels like you will never get finished so glad to help keep you motivated. Main thing I tried to keep in mind when building mine was that it was a hobby/escape, not a job. If I couldn't find the time to work on it for several weeks (months) in a row, no biggie. The building process is half the fun. The driving part aint that bad either :D

Has your truck been in your family or did you buy it as a project? Have you done anything like this before? Looks like you have some experience or a good teacher.

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Good Start on the truck

You're about the same place I am on my '50 GMC. How long have you been working on yours? I've had mine 2 years now.... I'm just about to move from Kingsville, Tx to Magnolia, Tx, so looks like a further delay for me. I did, however, retire, so that may help with the truck.

4. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Great start Jesse. You do good work. I agree with the comments about it not becoming a "Job" to some extent but I have also seen way too many projects that were started and never finished. Have fun but set aside some time every week to work on it. Starting this thread was a geat idea as you can track your progress and get a lot of great advise. Plus - if you do not post every so often - we'll start bugging you;)

5. gary1of2

gary1of2 Member

Looks good, looking forward watching your posts. Keep up the good work.

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Magnolia?

Congrats on the retirement! When are you moving to Magnolia? I'm about 10 miles from there and wouldn't mind at all helping you turn a wrench or 2 as long as I don't have to work on the front end and stare at an ugly grille!:D

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Thread !

Jesse ;

I like your truck .

I like your attidue .

I even like your avatar as I think it shows the right attitude... :rolleyes:

Looks like you're doing a bang up job there , keep it up and more pix as you're right , many of us learn better from pix than just reading words .

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good start Jesse, keep up the great work.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  9. skalywag

skalywag Member

Nice job Jesse, it brings back fond memories. I tried to "touch" my project every day when I could. This forum is a great place for inspiration, thanks for sharing those pictures.
    terry

10. old49chevy

old49chevy Member

Hello
    Thanks for all the motivating comments.

Texas53- My parents gave it to me for a project. This is my first truck restoration but I got started restoring old engines and tractors at a young age so I know some things about restoring old stuff.

Bilbo-I have been working on my truck for about 4 years now.

I had some time to work on it tonight so here are some pictures. I cleaned up the old shocks and got them back on, put some of the parking brake back together. Also cleaned and put new ruber bushing in my cab mounts. I am missing the parts inside the driver’s side drum for the parking break if any one has them for sale let me know.

Thanks
    Jessse

Attached Files:

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Call B.J. 704 320 0899

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whoa !

Who's making Huck brake springs ???? .

Way back in the day , we'd always find one or two broken and lying in the bottom of the drum on every brake job.....

13. old49chevy

old49chevy Member

Hello

ol' chebby - When would be a good time to call him.

vwnate1 - I got my brake springs from classicparts.

Thanks Jesse

14. Zig

Zig Member

Good head on yer shoulders!

Great job, Jesse! I'm impressed with your drive to rebuild old metal! I'd say you are doing it up right. Thanks for the pictures! As fast as you're going, you'll have that baby done in no time!
    Glad to have you aboard! (Even IF it's a Chevy you are rebuilding...:rolleyes:)

15. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I gotta know!

OK, Jesse. I'm impressed beyond words with our abilities and your obvious love of vintage tin! Now, come clean with us! Just how young are you? You're a special breed and I'm proud of what you've done, and undoubtedly, what you will do!

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

probaly 9am-9pm est. I will be over there tomorrow morning, I'll try to check.

17. alfonso

alfonso Member

Hi Jess, our friends are right, you have the real old truck love. I think I´m like you, because when I see your project, and the way you work,I would like to be your neighbor and share a little of my experience. Go ahead, and think to make the restoration the best you can, because the idea is do it once.
    Alfonso

18. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

AD & Steam Engines

Looks like 2 steam engines close to the AD. It should feel right at home. Good luck with the continued work.
    Willard

19. old49chevy

old49chevy Member

Update!! What I did over Christmas

Hello

Wow that month went by fast! Now it's time for an update on the 49, I think I got a lot done! I had a lot of help from my uncle up in northern Iowa. He showed me some tricks of the trade to finish bodywork processes and without him it never would have turned out as good as it did. (I love block sanding):p Tonight I brought the cab back from my uncle’s place and had a friend help me put it on the frame. I think it looks really good! What do you guys think?

Ken- sorry it took so long to answer your qustion I gess I'm still 18 for a couple more days.

Thanks Jesse

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  20. Wolf

Wolf Member

Wow great work!!! I thought I was young, 27, man now i feel old!!! Looks great keep up the good work!