oldstyle 55 second series

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by tom c, Aug 11, 2004.

1. tom c

tom c Member

That subject looks like a contradiction but...what I mean is Im building my 55 second series truck old style.It will be primer finish & I have a under-dash record player & a outside hangon "swampcooler" to use.Still trying to decide on wheels & tires.Wide whites seem to be awfully expensive .What else does a oldstyle truck need ?:)

2. MY 57 CHEVY

MY 57 CHEVY Guest

Baby Moons for wheels. Brandon

3. dhughins

dhughins Member

I want to finish my 59 in primer kinda a mix between prostreet and ratrod. I wanna shave all emblems and handles maybe add an airbag system.I've had truck for a few years but learning as i go.

4. fab51

fab51 Member

On my '51, I have a set of plain steelies painted black with '58 (or so) Chev crecent hub caps. Look nice, and something different than baby moons.

What about a fox tail hanging from the radio antenna?

Get ready to talk about that swamp cooler. I hung mine on and went to the local cruise night. Boy, did a lot of people want to talk about it.

5. tom c

tom c Member

Tim,Yeah I know the swampcooler attracts attention. I had it on a 57 panel truck I used to have.A lot of people ask what the heck is that thing on your truck.I never put water in it so I cant say how well they work.I did meet a man who had spent some time in the southwest part of the USA in the late 40s & early 50s who knew what it was.He told me that they were common there & then & said they worked very well.I intend to find out.The underdash record-player is something a lot of people are amazed by too.Most people have no idea what was around before 8-track tapes.If Im going oldstyle with this truck I guess roll & pleat upholstery is the way to go on the seat.Tweed wasnt in use for car & truck upholstery in the good old days.Later.

6. dhughins

dhughins Member

whats a swampcooler?

7. fab51

fab51 Member

How well the swamp cooler works all depends on where you live. I've heard too they work great in the dry southwest. I've put water in mine several times and it works a little. My problem is that I live in good old humid Missouri. The more humid the air is, the less the cooler works, since it relies on evaporation to cool the air.

That record player sounds pretty cool. I just love period accessories like that.

Roll & pleat naugahyde is great. That's what I have. Well, it looks great anyway. Not so nice on those hot humid summer days, but who cares as long as it looks good. What about mohair? That's old school.

Good luck with your '55.:)

8. tom c

tom c Member

To see what a "swampcooler" is go to Ebay motors in the classic car parts section & checkout item # 2487029482. My cooler is identical to that one.Thanks.

:)

9. j0oftheworld

j0oftheworld Member

Heres some:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mines the 2nd one that will look like the 3rd one soon enough!
    :D

10. p51mustang

p51mustang Member

Went to a car show this weekend and there was a old timer
    w/a window Ram air cooler on the side of his 56 panel
    he said he put dry ice in his and worked pretty good!
    Might not be a bad Idea!

11. scholman

scholman Member

"Side Lake Pipes" looked great back in the day my friends.
    scholman