On the mend...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mobileortho, Dec 16, 2016.

1. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Two years ago my left eye started twitching then gradually moved to my cheek, lip and neck. The left side of my face would spasm. I'd gotten to the point where I had to tell people I wasn't winking at them! The initial diagnosis was synkonesis, but an mri later revealed a blood vessel was being irrating the facial nerves causing what's known as hemifacial spasms. Treatment options were botox injections, which would only mask the symptoms, or brain surgery. I wanted the problem fixed so last Friday I had a craniotomy. My surgeon said that it was worse than he thought as the veins were fusing to the nerves so what was supposed to be about a three hour surgery turned into over seven. The twitching/spasms have completely stopped immediately afterwards but it appears I have lost my hearing on the left side. I'm hopefully optimistic that with time it will return. Hopefully all will continue to improve so that I can get back to my truck!

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ouch ;

Glad ou're still with us ! .

Being deaf is a royal P.I.A. but you'll manage .

-Nate

mobileortho likes this.
  3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Robert,
    I wish you a speedy recovery. It is very possible you will regain your hearing, as there may be some localized post-op swelling which is to blame.

mobileortho likes this.
  4. e015475

e015475 Member

Prayers and wishes for a speedy and complete recovery - Phil

mobileortho likes this.
  5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Robert
    Thanks for sharing your open private medical story . Thanks for telling us all. A part of the story behind it is i`ll guess is that you can't drive your truck around your self , but i know you are looking forward doing that activity again . We all send you are friendship and inner power to recover fully again. The day you are putting your right leg back on the gas pedal of your truck again i `ll hope you have a big smile on your face. When that day comes and your ready for it share your smile with us.

Wish you all the best hoping things work out the right way for you Martinius.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    mobileortho likes this.
  6. coilover

coilover Member

Robert,
    Whoever designed the human body did a heck of a job and I'd bet time will be on your side for recovery even though it's like block sanding--- really goes slow sometimes. With me it has been a hernia repair, gall bladder, lobe of one lung, triple bypass, ear sewed back on, just to touch the highlights and WITH TIME I'm still back on the job but (although much slower) so I'm betting on the old AD to be in the masters hands again. God Bless;
    Evan

mobileortho likes this.
  7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Evan

This is great reading ! Yeah time useally heals all wounds . The way you include other people is very gentleman like . You are a man with great capabilities :) and you know your trucks that is for shore !

Thank you Martinius.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    mobileortho likes this.
  8. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

I've had hearing loss since birth and it's not the end of world and people are very understandable about it. There are only a few clowns who have been neg about it but they no longer have teeth.

mobileortho likes this.
  9. Zig

Zig Member

Robert, I hope you are back in that truck now and that life is going great for you! Sorry that it was more than they expected, but SO glad you are still with us!

mobileortho likes this.
  10. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Thanks Everyone for you support. I'm taking it a day at a time. Had a few set backs but I'm determined to move forward.

11. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Robert, Glad things went well. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

12. Chiro

Chiro Member

Robert,

I hope you are continuing to heal up. Wishing you all the best for the coming year.

Andy