One bad rust spolt

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Red1969, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Red1969

Red1969 Member

Hello,

My cab is solid except for one rust spot, but it's in a bad location. To right corner of the cab at the windshield edge about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the A- pillar. I assume it was caused by a bad seal at the windshield. What can I do to stop this? Is there some way to seal the area? Thanks for any help.

Craig

2. twodogbiteme

twodogbiteme Member

rust...no biggy

well if the rust isnt completely through the body, and it hasnt exfoliated too badly, you should be able to remove the paint and corrosion with sand paper and a wire brush if necessary. once the corrosion has been completely removed, use sandpaper with a finer grit to feather out the edges in a circular pattern. using rubbing alcohol and a lint free rag, wipe the area completely clean of any dirt and debris. after allowing appropriate time to dry thoroughly, apply a chemical corrosion inhibitor ,such as alodyne, and allow cure time in accordance with label. then apply any body filler as required. then apply touch up paint.

if rusted completely through, you will probably end up replacing sheet metal.