Parking Brake Cable Attachment to Brake shoe

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by racketyboom57, Feb 16, 2007.

1. racketyboom57

racketyboom57 Member

I have a 1950 3100 and I can't figure out how to attach the parking brake cable to the brake shoes. I have a spreader bar to go between the shoes & a lever that hangs down and has a groove for the cable, but I believe it is for the next series. The 50 model has the wheel cylinder at the top, with the adjusters on the ends of the cylinders. Does anyone have a diagram showing what these parts look like?
    Tom Kirkland

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Whoa! (Pun intended)

That felt good!:D 2 suggestions. If you don't have a shop manual, go to www.chevy.tocmp.com and look at the '48-51 chevy truck manual. it has some good info on brakes. This site also has a Delco brake manual in it that might help. Secondly, a few months ago, Brit50 was having similar problems and posted a thread asking for info (I think it was entitled "Help a brit") Do a search and see if you can find that. I think we digressed as we always do, but managed to help him out. I'm sure that there will be future posts on the subject, but maybe this will be a start.

3. Zig

Zig Member

'Course mine's a GMC 3/4 ton, U.S. (ugly series) but my cylinders have the star adjustment as well. I don't remember what the hook up was for the parking brake cable, but ifin' you don't find the info you're looking for, I'll post something this weekend that shows (or explains) how mine went.

4. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Oh Zig, stop the (ugly series) talk. Your GMC is not ugly just not that pretty. But we still like ya.

5. Zig

Zig Member

:D :D :D

I can't help it- You know I really tink "Greater Made Chevy" trucks are waaaaaaay more sexy than the regular Chevy- right?:D :D :D

I just don't want you guys feelin' to sad that your Chevy trucks don't look as "manly" as a GMC!:eek:

I'd better get!!!

WooHA! Stir those flames-stir those flames:D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Let's see ~ someone on this very list sent me a link to a killer good exploded diagram for Huck brakes , it was from Obsolete Chevy in........

Georgia IIRC , their OnLine catalog uses old GM parts book digrams , they're airbrushed so they look _exactly_ like what's underneath your brake drum , only cleaner ! .

Good luck hunting , maybe Chevs Of The 40's in Wa. state will have good pix ? .

7. brit 50

brit 50 Member

hi, the parking cable attaches via a link that is a bit like a chain link, one end has a rod between the two sides and the other end the two sides come together with a keyhole type slot, the cable fits into the keyhole and the bar at the other end hooks onto the drop link from the shoes, i would post some pics but mine are all assembled, if your real stuck i could dismantle one side to photograph it
    ________
    DODGE NITRO HISTORY

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011