Pickup 1946 looking for an tranny upgrade

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Volker, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Volker

Volker Member

Hello again after a while

After lot of work and lot of fun with my Ford resto (see pic for actually status). Now i think it's time to make things on my Chevy. If you remember i took a complete rebuilt 235 with the original tranny on it. Works fine but it's too loud therefore i think about a new tranny and closed driveshaft. Have an SM 420 and an Muncie319OD from Flashlight in my garage. Have someone ideas/experience which tranny fits on a 235 or could i take another tranny for the best combination in my truck. i have a little bit respect for the Muncie. lot of cables and the OD unit seem not so easy, is it right?
    Volker before-after.gif

2. coilover

coilover Member

If you want to keep the closed drive shaft your options are pretty much limited to rear end gears. Our host offers 3.55 :1 rear gears which is a big improvement over the factory 4.11 gearing. If you go to an open drive shaft there are many ways to go with the T5 being popular. If you are happy with remembering to shift into reverse when you park or have a good working parking brake then the Borgwarner overdrive unit works with just two wires, one to a toggle switch and another to the governor. The lockout lever is just tied in the overdrive position. I like this because one keeps the deep gears for trailer pulling or load hauling and have 6 forward speeds ( although I don't recommend winding a 235 to 28 mph in 1st gear).
    Looks like your Ford started life as a bump back sedan and I'm impressed that you are going to the modern car convertible top design when the folding top pushes into the header rather that coming down on the top of the windshield frame. Much less air noise and leaks.

3. Volker

Volker Member

Thanks Evan,
    have the 3.55 inside but my problems are the noises inside the tranny. Crashbox - a real name for my tranny. Therefore i convert to open driveline. Have anybody experience with the 235 / 319OD combination?. adapter plates needed?? Lots of question and i collect all information before i will start.
    Volker

4. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

Patrick's sells a kit to adapt a Saginaw 4 speed to the original torque tube. Other than that, there are plenty of 4 and 5 speeds that will work on the 235, but you would have to convert to open drive.