Pitman arm question

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Bill Hanlon, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

'58 GMC half ton (or any 55.2-59 Chevy/GMC half ton), when the front wheels are "straight ahead" is the pitman arm vertical? Or is the drag link joint further forward or behind the pitman shaft where it comes out of the steering box?

2. coilover

coilover Member

I have a 58 down at the storage yard which I MAY be able to look at if no rain next week. Only got 53 inches so far this year. I have a 55.2 in the shop but it has an MII front. I can't remember but many Pitman shafts had a blind spline so the arm only fits one way. If so then it's a no brainer, just center the steering wheel and turn arm till blind spline lets it slide on---this is where it goes whether vertical or not.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Thank for the response Evan. You are right about the "blind spline".

I was asking for an internet friend who was concerned about his '58 GMC. He was removing one of those GM 800 power steering box conversions (same bump steer POS that I had on my '57) and going back to stock.

When the front wheels were centered, the pitman arm on the "new" steering box was clocked about 15 degrees from straight down. The concern was that the steering box may have been disassembled and put back together one tooth off. After much worrying we finally came to the conclusion that if it were one tooth off the amount of turn from centered at the front wheels available one way would be way different that the amount of turn the other way. His did not have that problem, so we pronounce it good.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Me, I'd want ot pointing straight down .

Never trust anyone to have assembled a steering component correctly ~ not even the original build .