power steering and disk brakes conv

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ichapa75, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ichapa75

ichapa75 Member

I have a 65 chevy C-10 stepside and who ever bought it in 65 went the cheap route. all it had was a V8 and big gears. i was told it was a farm truck (but weren't they all it seems). any way, it has drums all the way around and no power steering. what i want to do is is locate all the expensive parts from the local pull and save. is there anyone that can tell me what year parts change over. thanks

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE: power steering and disk brakes

Hi Chappa,

You will need an 800 series steering box and pump that can be found in 70's trucks. Look for one that has the pump also. Mating pumps and steering boxes can get sticky because the hose fittings varied during the years. The goal here is to get a pump/ steering box that you can get hoses over the counter.
    You will also need the pump mount for the motor. If you get lucky you will find it on the truck you found the steering box and pump from.
    Lastly, you NEED a REZ Engineering adapter kit to mount the steering box to the frame. DO NOT attempt to mount the gear box without it.

Dennis

3. gm61

gm61 Member

THe best thing to do is to find a 67-72 chevy pickup and take the complete front suspension and swap it out with yours. It is very easy to adapt them. Then you would have everything for disc brakes and power steering attachments. You would still need the pump and steering box off of the donor vehicle. YOu would also still need to get the adapter kit for the power steerin box.

I put a '77 c-10 front end under mine and i hade to drill 4 holes and relocat the idler are. It fits just perfect.

Hope this helps you.

Tim
    GM61

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

" Then you would have everything for disc brakes and ..."

Disk brakes were available from 72 on.....

DV

5. ichapa75

ichapa75 Member

hey thanks now the hard part is getting to any truck before it is stripped clean.

slammed orange 65 stepside