Power Steering bracket

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by TxTradman, Oct 17, 2005.

1. TxTradman

TxTradman Member

66 c10, has a 1970 350 in it, i just got the rez power steering bracket ordered today, what bracket do i need to mount the pump, the ones from the 85 dont work

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The easiest way to start is by using a short water pump. From there, go to a wrecking yard and look for any full/ mid size chevy passenger cars with power steering and hope you find a bracket still there.

Another option is to use one of the aftermarket brackets, like March or others.

When I did mine, I ordered everything needed from Mullins Steering Gears. They were merged with Borgenson a few years ago. Try calling Borgenson to see if they still carry the bracket that Mullins did.

DVal

3. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Here's another great sorce for engine bracket's and pulley's,
    Alan Grove 913-837-4368, they have an awsome power steering pump brackey that i used on my 58. They have great customer service and they will help as much as they can.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

4. TxTradman

TxTradman Member

The power steering came off of a 78 chevy truck, will it work at all with 70 model motor

5. dvalentine

It will work. It has an internal fluid resoviour( you pour the fluid right into the pump) as opposed to and external resoviour, Correct ?

What year is the steering box ? There may be issues with the hoses if the box is an earlier model. The old metric/ASE bug-a-boo.
    If the steering box is the same year as the pump you won't have any hose problems.

DV

6. TxTradman

TxTradman Member

The pump, gear box etc were from an 86 chevy pickup, i know the pump brackets arent working on my 70 model motor, these brackets wont bolt up, my pump doesnt have the stud at the bottom of the pump which is what bracket this motor takes i guess ill ghave to get a diffrent pump/bracket combo, will this grear box still work with liek a 70-75 model pump and bracket

7. dvalentine

There are brackets that will work with that 86 pump and your motor. The last resort would be to look for an earlier pump because of the hose incompatability. ( ASE on one end, metric on the other ) You can have hoses made that will solve that, but they would be relativly expensive.
    Keep looking for a bracket. Try Alan Grove first. They are a good, inexpensive, no-frill bracket.

DVal

8. drabo

drabo Member

Corvettes use a short water pump. Not too many of these in the junk yard though. The pumps and steering boxes are pretty much interchangable. The only diffrence is the ends of the hoses. Older stlye is rounded off and the newer ones have a small lip on them. Autozone can custom build your high pressure hose for you. Just eyeball the route that the hose is going to take and determine if you need a 90, 45, or straight. I ended up buying several diffrent hoses and matched up the one that fit right and took the rest back. Also you either need to shorten or legthen you steering shaft. Mine has a small piece of pipe connecting it togther. Good luck with the install.

9. TxTradman

TxTradman Member

OK, i know im being a pest, but you guys ra ebeing very helpful to a newbie rebuilder here.

OK, I had decided to just go buy a new pump and brackets, my concern is the gear box, will the gear box from the 86 chevy still work with any pump/bracket combo i get as long as i get the hoses to match, i was reading an article abour gear ratios this morning, does that matter since its not a daily driver, man sometimes i wonder if a complete frame up was such a good idea, hehe

How do you post pics and ill post some progress photos

PS. Ya'll have been alot of help throughout this process

10. TxTradman

TxTradman Member

Now more issues, the steering box wont fit, it has to be spaced more than the bracket from that guy. So, I either have to dimple the frame in or get another power steerign box/pump and all which may be the easiest sinc ei got all this at a DEAL. Deals arent always a deal, hehe

If i start over and buy another steering set, what year model truck do i need to look for.

11. drabo

drabo Member

Try getting some sleeves for the bottom bolts or grinding down the dimple for clearance. I think my steering box is for an 87 chevy. When I was looking I went to a local junk yard and found out which box would fit and then took that info to the parts store and got a rebuilt one. It wasn't much more than the junk yard piece.

12. TxTradman

TxTradman Member

I can space it out, but not sure it will al line up correctly

13. drabo

drabo Member

I'm pretty sure that is how mine is. I'll have to take a look to be sure.