power steering brackets for short water pump

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by joe231, May 31, 2008.

1. joe231

joe231 Member

any one have any info on these? what year did they quit using the short pump?
    thanks, joe

2. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

If my memory is correct, I believe 68 was the last year for the short pump. They went to the long style when they tapped the ends of the heads for bracketry and brought the alt. off the end of the exhaust manifold. I know 69 was the first year for the 350's in most production chevys, and they have holes tapped for brackets. I've had pretty good luck drilling and tapping the end of a 461 (cast number) early style head to accept the later model bracket for alt and p.s. pump... the thinking here was a tight 64cc chamber and room to put big valves in, more bang for the buck~
    Oh, yeah, Corvette continued to use the short pump for a few more years too...size constraints? Maybe someone else can share their knowledge on this one too..
    Hope that helps!

3. joe231

joe231 Member

cool, thanks

4. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

Hey Joe

I can't help you anymore than what has already been said, but I thought I would let you know I went and got my truck yesterday. I moved it to a friends property about 5 or 6 miles from my house, at least I moved it. I found out if I change the new ball joints to 66 ball joints I can use the lowered spindles. I need to find all the steering for a 66, idler arms, center link, pittman arm and so forth, I might just go ahead and buy new. I took pictures but all I had with me
    at the time was a throw-a-way so I will have to get them developed and soon so I can post them. I have all new poly bushing for the body and tranny mount and tie rods they came with the truck. The trailing arms and pan hard bar already have the new bushings in them but since I will have to get the adjustable bar when I lower it 5" in the rear I will no longer need the stock bar.
    I have to go for now, talk to you more later.

SEE YA

5. drabo

drabo Member

FYI Corvettes used short water pumps for many years. And you know they had power steering.

6. joe231

joe231 Member

cool billy!! we need to get together!!
    thanks everyone for all the replys!

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

drabo, thats correct, corvettes used short pumps, and as a bonus they were alluminum. i have a few sitting in the shop and am looking forward to getting to use them some day.

8. joe231

joe231 Member

do you know what year they quit using them in the corvettes?

9. coilover

coilover Member

The short water pump was used on cars through 68 and on trucks through 72. I think Speedway, Summit, Jeg's and others offer reasonably priced swp brackets and pulleys. Some of the a/c folks like Vintage Air have them and the high dollar ones like March or Billet Specialties have them.

10. joe231

joe231 Member

cool thanks for the info.
    i got me a set of OE brackets