power windows

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 87Silverado, May 10, 2004.

1. 87Silverado

87Silverado Member

my power window motor went bad on my 87 but i dont see how u can get to it, i have alraedy took the trim and door panel off

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

You might need to take out the vent window assembly and the main window. Then you might be able to slip it out of the hole near the back of the door. hope this helps,

Craig

3. tech1

tech1 Member

raise the window all the way up and tape it to the frame. remove door panel, remove the remote control, remove the regulator bolts from the door frame, unplug the harness, slide the reg. assembly rearward til the rollers disengage from the sash panel, then remove the regulator from the acces hole in the door}> :+ }>

4. MarkyB

MarkyB Guest

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-11-04 AT 07:06 PM (CST)]Do just as Tech1 stated. You will need a light source and the ability to feel your way through part of it. It's a tight fit and a pain, but it can be done with some patience. Since this is your first one, allow plenty of time to do this. Before removing the regualtor, turn the motor about 90 degrees, and drill a hole through the sector gear and backplate, then install about a 3/4" long self-tapping screw to lock the gear. Drill the hole over a 1/2" away from the edge of the gear and plate. There is a couter balance spring on the regulator that could cause some personal injury. Once you pull out the regulator and motor, most likely you will have to drill out the rivits holding the motor to the regulator. Then reinstall the motor using riviets or self tapping screws. Good luck.