Preparing to rewire 1952 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, May 21, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

Hello all I am back from Florida and have the summer to rewire the truck. I put it off a year because my buddy burned up his truck doing a similar task.

Here is my initial plan

1. Create an “AS IS” wiring diagram. Put this on flip charts on garage wall

2. Remove seat for ease of access

3. Create work space in garage for all parts, supplies and tools.

4. Disconnect battery

5. I already have printed and posted Ol Chebby’s “how to wire an AD" wonderful guide

6. I have the EZ wire kit, and all the tools and supplies.

My first question is removing the existing wires. What recommendations do you have for that? Should I leave tell tails so I know what was or strip it clean, or some other method?

Any and all tips are appreciated. I will post progress pics. Plan to start tomorrow.

Thanks, Denis

2. denisf

denisf Member

I also bought a directional kit, as the truck did not have any. Any advice to adding that while I rewire?

3. denisf

denisf Member

Here is the beginning of the project. Looks like I bought the wiring harness from our sponsor. Need to decide on replacing fuse block or reusing it??

I will work on creating the AS IS diagram this week. I will say this project is interesting and a bit scary!~ IMG_20170521_085317988_HDR.jpg IMG_20170521_085309817_HDR.jpg IMG_20170521_085303996_HDR.jpg IMG_20170521_085239680.jpg IMG_20170521_085159899.jpg and a bit fearful!

4. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

Getting ready to do the same. Looks like you are on the right track. I personally would appreciate any/all info you are willing to share (including pics). Good luck!

5. Zig

Zig Member

I bought my harness from our host. The diagram that came with it let me know I didn't need to worry about the removal of the old harness. I just stripped it out, but I made sure to leave some length of wire on the gauge light sockets, as I don't remember that the harness had those.
    By all means, this is absolutely the time to be adding things like wiper motor, turn signals, and radio wiring. One of the things I did to help with the worst part of this (anything under the dash) was make a plywood platform that fit across the floorboard. I had pull the floor shift rod, (mine is a 4 on the floor) and the clutch and brake pedals. This was such a big help! With those gone, you can really get to things so much easier.
    The other thing that was really handy for me, was this site (and my dad) as I know so little about auto wiring.
    Then finally, there's this wonderful guy by the name of Bill Hanlon! With his help, my truck starts (with original points/condenser) just as quick as the newer vehicles that are in our driveway.
    Good luck!

6. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks I will be methodical!

7. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

the EZ wire kit should have a fuse block with it. The wires should all be labeled including turn signals. I hide every wire possible. very few wires show in the engine bay. Most important take your time. Use quality connectors and heat shrink. I solder wire to wire connections and heat shrink. Test each circuit as you complete it.