projects

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cowboy, Feb 6, 2003.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

hey i was just wonderiing how ya'lls projects were coming a long i'm starting to do body work on my truck. I need to fix my left rear brake cylinder it leaks. i will hope fully get it painted this spring and hit a few shows.
    cowboy
    1961 upside down is 1961

2. Glen

Glen Member

My '60 2-ton dump truck is just sitting. It is usable but needs a drag link replaced. My brother used it last to haul about 5 loads (6-7 tons each) of gravel. He complained a lot about the steering, but he liked the price. My '63 3/4 ton, my daily driver, needs a little more smoothing out before I try to paint it. I would like to get it painted before the summer tractor pulls and shows start. It will look sharp, painted Farmall red, hauling my restored '51 Farmall Super C tractor. It's no show truck, but its a blast to drive and looks reasonably well. It's has a rebuilt later model 250, the original 4-speed and the old 5.13 rearend. I put an aftermarket seat with a walnut center console, just for some luxury. The '59 big back window half ton is in pieces. The cab is on a dolly, all the floorboards, corners and running boards have been replaced. The short fleetside bed is sitting on sawhorses and still needs some smoothing out, and floor wood. The frame and running gear is about done. Power brakes, Power steering, new brake lines, new brakes and bearings, etc.... A freshly rebuilt 305 with an edelbrock 650 and hedman headers is sitting on the frame. It runs, and sounds darn good. Oh well, it keeps me out of the bars and pool halls. My wife says she never has to wonder where I am. She just looks in the garage or barn. I like cowboy's idea. Everyone should give the rest of us an update occasionally.

3. evers310

evers310 Member

I have my engine almost together, it's a .040 over 350 with KB flat top pistons, a lumpy Comp cams 270H Magnum, dynagear gear drive, Ari-gap intake, Edelbrock 750 carb, and Flow-tech headers, I found a '65 cab that was in great shape at the junkyard, almost no rust (very rare here in the south), it's almost completed and ready to go back on the frame once I get the grand slam kit I ordered from CPP. It should be here on friday, 3 1/2" drop in front and 5" in the rear and 6 lug cross drilled rotors. The frame has been cleaned and painted. The only thing left to do after this is to replace the bed and find a nice seat. I want a nice late model split bench with center console, does anyone have any experience on what will bolt right up and what will need reworked brackets? Here is a link to some pics of my truck in progress...

http://www.classictruckworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3299

'66 C10 Fleetside LWB 350/350

4. desperado

desperado Member

5. desperado

desperado Member

...make the that (THE CAB) I must be "dislesic"...bruce.

6. David

David Member

I haven't really did much to my truck lately, except for last saturday + sunday. :) I was on "dent patrol", and removing dents on the passenger door. Now if I can only get this weekend free i'll start on the passenger side of the bed. }>
    David

7. offrdr75

offrdr75 Member

My 63 fleetside is coming along slow. I have just tken everything off the frame an am getting ready to take the frame to have it powder coated so I can get the rolling cassis back together. Then I will get more serious about the body.

8. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

I haven't been in here for a looong time(or so it seems)but my project is hauling along. I'm taking Autobody I and Welding I at my local community college, so with a little luck, I'll have the truck in FINE primer by May and painted by the end of the summer. I did manage to find a '61 hood and grill for the '65 at Pick-n-Pull last week for a grand total of $90 for the pair. I tried to polish the aluminum grill, but it was anodized or something so it's away being sandblasted clean so that I can shine it up or get it powdercoated. The hood is in decent shape, with no rust to spaek of, but at the junkyard, they hit the side of it with the forklift and made a minor dent(thank heaven it was only minor!) right on the passenger side near the back. Yesterday I stripped the hood to bare metal in about two hours to find only some light filler and a hole that had brazed shut. I cannot wait to this thing put together and straightened out! I've got spring fever and can hardly wait for show season, so I'm going back to work. Happy Truckin'--
    --TrustyRusty :7

9. General

General Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in this group. My truck was given to be by my father who inherited it from his father who bought it new. It sat in my dad's garage for some 18 years before I decided to restore it. I'm lucky that my grandfather had a camper on it and that the orignal bed needed only to be refinished. NO ROT! :) The engine had 35,00 miles on it so, I didn't have to do much to it. I'm in the process of replacing the entire front end due to the fact that my grandfather ran it into a cement barrier on the hightway. ( He got on going the wrong way! HA) Anyway, I should be finished with the restoration this spring. I'll put some pictures up on my website when I'm finished.