Proper Placement of Mirrors?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by volcan96, Jul 28, 2005.

1. volcan96

volcan96 Member

I bought the round outside mirrors for my 54 Chevy from CD which came with no mirrors and the previous owner filled in the mirror holes. I have the shop manual but I can't find what the proper placement of the mirrors is. I can guess from pictures on the web, but does anyone have more specifics?

thanks.

2. jfjbjr

jfjbjr Member

Try: stovebolt.com

Click on "Tech Tips".

Approx. 1/4 down the page you will see "FAQ page". Click on FAQ and scroll down to the "How do I..." section. The 8 th topic from the top of this heading is entitled:

How do I install pass side mirror on AD truck?"

In short, you will need to remove the cardboard glove box liner from the glove box n order to install the mirror arm on the pass. side of the truck . The glove box liner is held in place by approx. 8 - 10 small screws. Once the glove box liner is removed you will see two holes stamped into the cowl. Drill through these holes and you are ready to install your mirror arm.

I followed this advice when I recently installed a mirror on the right side of my '54 and it worked without any problems. I assume the same would be true on the drivers side, with the obvious exception of removing the glove box. I also got my mirrors from CD and I was pleased with their apparence.

I asked this same question on this forum in early April of this year. It, and the responces I received, can be found under topic ID # 2119.

I hope it works out for you as well as it did for me. Good Luck

3. coilover

coilover Member

This question has been asked before and the answere was to look inside the curved part of the cowl. There is a brace there thar will have the factory holes in it. The glove box will need to be taken out on the passenger side to see those holes. Just drill from the inside out.

4. volcan96

volcan96 Member

Thanks for the tips!

Last night, I looked for the holes on the cowl on both sides. But, the inside of the cowl seems to be covered by Bondo or something like that, making finding them tougher. I will spend the weekend scraping away as much as I can and see if the holes are still there.

Thanks again!

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The holes will be there , not to worry , I find it simpler to use a drift to punch raised dimples from under the dash then drill in from the outside .

Once you have the holes open and de burred , remember to paint the bare edges , you can use some of SWMBO's laquer nail polish , that works great , else it _will_ rust under the mirror bracket .

I too , used Chevy Duty's mirrows & brackets , the chromed ones and they're great apart from the mirror attaching nut is extra cheap Chinese stell and will ruts up quick uless you paint it , again , use _clear_ nail polish for a quick fix that's invisable and permanent .

Lastly , when you're about to install the brackets , lay a thin skim coat of blue RTV sealant on the body to prevent the ingress of water under the bracket as the cheap rubber grommets don't seal overly well and will leak progressively worse as time goes on .

-Nate

6. volcan96

volcan96 Member

Nate,

Thanks for your advice. I followed your tips and the truck looks great! I also used blue painting to cover the outside paint when I drilled and then made the holes come out much cleaner.

My wife looked at me weird when I borrowed her nail polish though...

thanks again.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're _NEVER_ supposed to let SWMBO see you borrow her nail polish or hair dryer etc. as they don't understand and will _NEVER_ forget it nor forgive you , no matter what they say :'(

If you're still running points ignition , pinch a nail emory board and toss it in the glove box , 5 years from now you'll be glad you did .

-Nate

8. jfjbjr

jfjbjr Member

Nate,

I thought that I knew most of the terms associated with the AD trucks, up until now anyhow. I'm almost afraid to ask, but can you explain to me exactly what SWMBO is?

I followed your advice about installing these same mirrors a few months ago and it worked out very well. The only thing that I didn't do is put the sealer beneath the rubber gasket, but that is something I now plan on doing this weekend.

Thanks for your EXPERT advice!!!!!!

John

PS I'm also planning on insatlling an emory board in the glove box as soon as my wife turns her head long enough so that I don't get caugh taking one. That sounds like good avice and a cheap "insurance policy"...just in case

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: " SWMBO "

Sure ! it means :

She

Who

Must

Be

Obeyed

! :+ :D

10. jfjbjr

jfjbjr Member