Pulling steering wheel/column.

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by pathos, Oct 7, 2002.

1. pathos

pathos Member

Is it possible to pull an entire steering column and wheel out thru the cab of a 65 C10? Mind you this is with out removing the steering wheel. Is there a safe way to pull the wheel with out a puller?

Thanks!

2. evers310

evers310 Member

I have not pulled my steering column yet so I cant say for sure. I will be adding power steering soon so I will be looking into this. If you want to pull the wheel you can go to almost any auto parts store and buy a steering wheel puller cheap. I got mine for around $15. Autozone loans out tools for free if you dont want to buy one, you just have to pay the price of the tool as a deposit and they will refund it when you bring it back.
    Good luck!

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

My stock column came out with the wheel still attached. The front seat was already removed AND it is a panel truck though. It should come out OK with the front seat out.

FYI: a steering wheel puller is not that terribly expensive. Probably less than $20. Go ahead and pick one up, it dosn't take up that much room in the tool box and it is one less tool you will need.

Dennis

4. bill duty

bill duty Member

I have removed my s.wheel extra times but the first was the toughy. The pullers are east to buy or, borrow or I have found that by sitting in a driver`s position with legs exerting pressure to the bottom side of the wheel and using a block of hard wood on the nutted shaft ( to protect the threads) and tapping gingerly on the shaft the wheel popped without damage. This is worth a try on a stubborn wheel if you don`t have access to a puller.;-)

5. 65dea or alive

65dea or alive Member

I have recently pulled out 2 steering columns(I had to replace me old one with a used one). I did not use and special tools, just a crow bar and a hammer. It came out fine. If I were you I would not buy the tool because it is not needed. Insted by new gaskets or something.

6. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit guys!

why take the chance, when pullers are so cheap?

i pulled a wheel on my '57, without the puller. after several occasions, i had to replace the damaged steering shaft.

last week, because i misplaced the puller, i did it again, this time on my truck. i also tried to re-install the lockplate and retainer ring...without the correct tool. i ended up bending the lockplate.

after buying the puller and the lockplate installer, i had to dis-assemble the top half of the tilt column, to secure the loose torx bolts.(probably loosened up, after using gorilla-tactics and not having the proper tools.)

today, after completely rebuilding the column's top-half, i destroyed the lockplate, while using the proper tools for the re-install. the slightly bent lockplate cocked against the steering shaft, and REALLY folded over, beyond repair. i hope the shaft is not damaged, or i'll be replacing that also.

FWIW, GET THE CORRECT TOOLS, AND THEY'RE CHEAP!!!

now, my truck is down, until i can get to the junkyard, and scrounge for a lockplate, maybe even the top steering shaft....because the lockplate is NO LONGER AVAILABLE at the dealer, or on the internet businesses i've checked with!

after reading this, are you still willing to work on your steering column...without the proper tools?: :'( :'( :'(

7. 65dea or alive

65dea or alive Member

When I got my steering column It was out of a 60ish surburban. Its to long so I have to take it out and cut it down. After reading your scary story, I think i'll buy the proper tools. Thank you, Thank you, Thankz.

8. zenish

zenish Member

i would try a harmonic ballancer puller.

9. evers310

evers310 Member

A harmonic balancer puller wont work, the bolt holes wont line up properly and you could strip out the bolt holes on your steering collumn. Better to just get the $15 steering wheel puller.

'66 C10 Fleetside LWB 350/350