Question about 53 Chevy

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by codyfox, Feb 12, 2010.

1. codyfox

codyfox Member

Good evening everyone.
    I just got my 53' out of the shop. I had a friend of mine do the following (SB 350);
    1. Fuel filter replaced and rubber hose that connects pump to filter.
    2. Ignition Cap, Rotor, Wire set
    3. Spark Plugs,
    4. Ignition Module.
    5. Distributor

Driving it home, it shot out some gray smoke, like puffs everytime I stopped at a red light. It seemed like it was jumping or not wanting to keep going. I did make it home though, thank goodness. I don't like leaving a shop after getting work done and its worse than when it went in. A few ideas that I have and maybe you all can help. 1) A friend thought it was my transmission slipping so I checked it and fluid was low so I added 2 qts. 2) Another friend from Oreilly Auto Parts said it could be the timing. hmm I really don't know. I am going to take it back to the guy that worked on it. I hope I explained it well. Thanks to all. Looking forward to hearing from ya.

Cody.
    I do need to get some pics up...Maybe this weekend...

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Cody, what kind of carburation are you using? TBI, 4 BBL, etc? What model year is your engine and does it has that there high fandango computer stuff? Clue us in on that and I know that there will be an expert come to the rescue! Me? Not hardly! I'm a points, plugs and condenser kind of guys!:cool: Talk about ol' skool!:D

3. codyfox

codyfox Member

Novice

Well I am so new to everything, I am finally learning about everything at age 31. My excuse is living with my mom and sister..lol.. But I am so interested now, I wish I knew more about engines, etc... Makes me mad that I didn't learn as a kid.

Okay, When my dad gave me this 53, I've known about them for some time. I didn't know if I wanted original or not and not knowing at the time, I went ahead and had a friend of ours put in a 350. He said it came out of a 86 or 87 Chevy Blazer 4x4. The carb is a 4BBL. My truck is pretty basic. My dad drove it for 12 years and then off and on the past 3. Has 12v, automatic Trnsmission, elect ignition...ummm and needs a lot..but definitely driveable...or was..lol

Thanks for replying.. I have been stalking this website with so much good information. What a great place to learn and get to know everyone...

Cody

4. codyfox

codyfox Member

Firing order

Ive been doing some research and I think the mechanic might have put the firing order wrong. I will check it when I get home. But, how could they forget or do that wrong? hmmm

Cody

5. coilover

coilover Member

Check your number 7 and 5 plug wires first. (the drivers side rear most plug wire and the one second to the rear) They are right next to each other on the distributor cap and the most often crossed.

6. yodaman

yodaman Member

Don't feel too bad about waiting until your 30's to start learning about engines and such....I did the same thing when I got my truck with no good excuse and still have a long way to go.

7. codyfox

codyfox Member

Coilover

Wow, u were right... They were crossed up.... Ahhh it sounds better.. going to take pics tomorrow...

Thanks again.

Cody