QUESTION: C14 convert to 4X4 (K14)

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by stephenmullens, Jan 20, 2004.

1. stephenmullens

stephenmullens Member

I have a question I need assistance with if anyone can help me:

I have a 1966 Chevy Model C14 (10 series) stepside with short bed that I want to restore. However, I want to convert it to 4 wheel drive, i.e. Model K14.

I have a friend who has a 1966 Model K14 (10 series) LONG BED 4X4 he will give me to use for the conversion.

Are the four-wheel-drive parts from a K14 LONG BED model interchangeable with my C14 Stepside SHORT BED chassis?

Thank you for your assistance.

2. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: QUESTION: C14 convert to 4X4 (K

You just need to remove 12" behind the cab out off the frame. A longbed is 127" and a shortbed is 115"wheelbase.

3. SPORTTRUCK70

SPORTTRUCK70 Member

RE: QUESTION: C14 convert to 4X4 (K

I totaly agree with tech 1 on useing the 4x4 frame. I swapped the body of my 62' GMC on to a 76' GMC frame, putting the 4x4 parts on your two wheel drive chassis will be a nightmare. All the parts that haw to be swapped over will take longer than shortening the 4x4 frame and swapping the body. THe frame is also longer after the rear tires to, this part just needs to be cut off. I think its abouy six inchs longer, but it would probibly be better shorten (cut & weld) the center of the frame then put the cab and bed on first then trim the frame at the rear. You might need 4x4 truck cab rubber mounts, I'm not sure if the 2x4 and 4x4 are different in those years. This is also a good time to clean the frame and paint it, also cleaning up the under side of the cab and painting it should be done now.