Random questions on Chevy history...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by yodaman, Jan 16, 2010.

1. yodaman

yodaman Member

Figured you guys will know these answers (although some are not AD related).
    1) Were the high and low note horns on cars from the 40's up the same notes as our trucks?
    2) Did deluxe interior not necessarily mean deluxe heater included? (My deluxe parts truck had a recirculating heater, don't know if original.)
    3) What color was the original heater switch in '54? (Said parts truck had a dark colored switch)
    4) What year did Chevy give the official Apache designation?

Thanks, Josh

2. tclederman

tclederman Member

Josh,

1) What years are your referring to? 1947-1955? The accessory clamshell-style dual horns for trucks are very similar to the clamshell-style horns used on cars. One difference, however, is that the mounting posts are in different locations for at least some years (mounting bracket(s) are also different).

2) What year deluxe interior? 1954/55? In those years, the deluxe interior options did not include a heater, so no heater or either heater might be found in a deluxe cab.

3) Dark brown (almost black) with white letters.

4) A guess: some 1955 2nd series trucks?

Tim

3. yodaman

yodaman Member

a little clarification...

Thanks, Tim. I should have been a little more specific on a few points, I reckon. I was at the only junkyard with old stuff that I know of this weekend and noticed a couple of older cars with dual horns that looked like the single one low note one in my '54s. I knew that an additional high note one was an option and wondered if they were the same throughout the 40's and 50's.

I found an two heater switches in the junkyard on older AD larger truck which were white so I that's why I wondered about the dark one in my parts truck.

As for the Apache question, one of my buddies asked me when they were made and the best I can find was a reference in one of my books as to starting that name in '58. I actually meant to ask what yearS they were produced.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

58 is correct for Apache.

5. yodaman

yodaman Member

What year was the last one?

6. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

My neighbor had the 1st Apache I every saw. It was a 58 fleetside. May be the fleetside started the Apache series. As a kid I did not like the apache, no running board to ride and 4 headlights.

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Don't quote me on this, but...

After looking at a lot of different pieces of reference material, I'm pretty sure the the Apache designation was used from '58 through '61.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Task Force Truck Names

Yes but , only on pickups .

Big 'Bolts were called " Vikings " during this same period .

FWIW , Task Force series trucks are really nice for the working man & service crews , roomy cabs and better ventilation / heating .

The Quad headlights thing is *very* subjective ~ at times I love it , at other times I'm glad I don't have one .

I'd prolly swap my '49 AD straight across for a nice '58 / '59 with InLine 6 and Dual Hydromatic tranny at this point , no way 'round it , I'm old and broken , still don't want a Japanese truck though :rolleyes:

That'd be the easy way out but not for me I shouldn't think .