Real enamel free-hand pinstriping.

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by 50 Chevy LS3, Jun 6, 2015.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I love real enamel pinstriping and painted on lettering. Seems to be fading in this modern world of computer generated vinyl graphics.
    As with anything, it can be done with creativity, which is a God-given talent, or just copied from someone else.
    I like these, taken at the Goodguys Indy Show, June, 2015.
    100_5177.jpg

100_5178.jpg

100_5176.jpg

100_5179.jpg

100_5183.jpg
    Sorry about the glare and the sideways presentation. Obviously my photographic skills are not God-given.
    Please post up some of your own, if you have them.

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I too am a fan of hand laid pinstriping. Until you try it yourself you can't really have a feel for just how talented these folks are that do this.

I feel less is more, but to each their own.

Got any pinstriping on your KW Steve?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

The Kenworth I now own and drive has no pinstriping. In fact, the required lettering and I.C.C., D.O.T., numbers are vinyl, and applied to a polished stainless panel rather than on the paint itself.
    My previous "A" model Kenworth, the one I liked the most, had free-hand lettering on the doors and sleeper. Done by a guy with "one shot" enamel. He was truly an artist, I liked to just watch him work. The whole truck was painted in an old school dark red with black fenders, and I wanted the lettering to look old timey, also. He painted my name in block letters, with an arch to them, and he made the arch with a very small pencil line. Then he just started painting the block letters in free-hand. Then came back and shaded them. Amazing work, I wish I was able to do it.
    I'll have to dig out some pics. The grill shot I'm using as my avatar, is that old 1975 Kenworth, right after I painted it myself and put a whole new chrome grill in it.