Rear A/C

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Reinovator, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

howdy I'm looking for any kind of illustration for a rear system
    I have all the lines from the rear foreword to the engine compartment.
    I also have a A/C system for a truck with out rear air. it's been 20= years since I worked on a vehicle with rear air and it was an ARA system ford van as I recall or was it a dodge. Any way I have an extra set of wires from the switches(orange and yellow) which I think control a in line switch for these line but I can't find any reference parts wise for a switch.
    If any one can help please do.
    Pictures of an operational system would also help!!!
    If need be a aftermarket option would also help.:D

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Don't they still sell those nifty rooftop ones in Az. anymore ? they cooled off thousands (? millions ?) of vans and panel trucks back in the day .

Or maybe a Suburban in Pick-A-Part , those are all over the place but going fast .

3. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Oh ya they do! but I'm using mine on my motor home right now.:p
    The nearest Wrecking Yard is 110 miles away east or west. 80 miles north (unless you count those guys that call them selves one about 40 miles north that never answer the phone or return calls. they don't even know what the have, then they'll say 'Come on up look around' ya get there and 'Oh ya we scraped that one 6 months ago'. and 225 south.
    when I lived I SLC It wasn't a problem.

But then again I'd have some jerk who happened to drive by and call EPA on me or OSHA or some kind of abstruse home owners association on me for having to may vehicles. Or my grass wasn't edged to code the flowers are the wrong color and my mail box isn't level.

I'm sorry I'd rather live where my neighbors 4x4 wakes me up on a Sunday morning as he goes out to do some shooting.
    But thanks for the Idea.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ouch !

See now ? living in The Ghetto does have some benifit ;) .

The nasty old drunk lady next door was a problem until we went to court , I fixed her wagon well & no further City hassles but Code Enforcement is always a dicy thing .

Anyway , I routinely travel 100 + miles to get to junkyards just to poke around , I _know_ there's scads of them in Phoenix area , I never trust a junkman , they're lazy and dishonest to boot most of the time . so , instead I work hard at making freinds so they'll allow me to climb around the piles of scrap and I usually find what I need pretty quick .

As there's a lot of hard up retirees in Az. , I'd think the Thrifty Nickle , or Green Sheet etc. , would be the place to look ~ never be afraid to make lowball offers, politely of course but you never know just how desperate a body is to get rid of old stuff .

Insurance pools too ~ when I was building cars for resale , I'd buy wrecks just to get some specific thing and scrap the rest out , I'd usually GIVE it to my local junkman just to be rid of it and oil the waters for my next fishing in his yard...

One hand washes the other ya know :p .

You'd be flabbergasted at the cherry Suburbans hitting the deck in local Pick-A-Parts out here , I certainly am .

5. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Yea I've had that problem before in the Big Shi@y. ah City.
    I used to work in one of those very honest wrecking yards. and I worked in a very good one too. This was before I quite drinking. and you know all that LDS in the sixties didn't help either.
    I have a very good friend here how is most likely the best mechanic I've ever seen or met next to my Grand pa.
    He moved from the big city I came from.
    He was a good friend there too.
    I just don't like bugging him with this stuff. he likes stock and restoring vehicles, unless it's a Harley.:rolleyes:
    He gets touchy when it comes to custom.:eek:
    I can just see what it's going to be like when I lower my panel 4" and I try to take it to him for an alignment. Oh boy that i'll be fun.:cool:
    hay thank for the feed back .:D