Rear brake shoes for '49

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by HaroldB, Jun 14, 2011.

1. HaroldB

HaroldB Member

I'm in my usual state of confusion. :p
    Are both shoes of each rear wheel supposed to activate and contact the drum when the emergency brake is engaged?
    My brake shoes were last replaced 35 years ago and I'm trying to get it back to original driving condition. The drivers side shoes have a spreader between the shoes and both shoes make drum contact when activated. The passenger side shoes did not have a spreader or even a notch in the forward shoe for a spreader to fit in and neither shoe makes contact. I located a spreader and made a notch in the shoe and it seems to work properly.
    However, now I find because of the years of neglect and leaking brake fluid, the linings are shot. I would prefer to purchase new shoes, but I can not find any that show having the needed spreader notch.
    So, as I see it I have three choices: (1) Have the shoes I got relined (if I can locate a source) (2) Buy new shoes, eliminate the spreader and have no emergency brake. (3) Buy new shoes and cut required notches in the forward ones for the spreaders.
    Any other suggestions for this project will be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Huck brakes diagram !

Good day to you Harald !

Look at my posting and other members posts about this issue.There are a lot of pictures of your rear Huck brakes. It should`nt be to hard to find the wanted parts. I `ll think our host have most parts or ,The Filling Station or , Chevy the Fourtees or ask people for parts at this forum.
    And yes both wheels have to be activated at the same time ! Remember to adjust both sides excactly like wise. Sinds it is such a long time ago they where looked over i would take a totall check up on your brakes all four of them.

https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=11469&highlight=Huck+brakes&page=2

Hucks sucks as Nate use to say , Regards Martinius.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. HaroldB

HaroldB Member

Martinius:

My truck must not have Huck brakes.

Attached Files:

4. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Hucks you have

Harold, those are Huck brakes and you can get new shoes at NAPA. Locally they were $25 - hard to beat. They are also available from our host. The connection of the right side of the spreader in your picture should be thru a hole in the shoe near the top with an eccentric nut assembly. I'm not sure that anyone re-pops these brake parts. You should have a preader on both sides. If you look on my photos there is a shot of the rear brake shoe assembly.

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Dang Larry, you beat me to the punch. NAPA does sell the brake shoes. Rayloc Tru-Stop p/n TS141. My NAPA shows the price at $33.99 for the fronts and the same price for the back, which they should be because they are the same.

Make sure that you clean up all of the parts really good, identify and correct any leaks, etc BEFORE putting on the new shoes because you don't want to get any brake fluid on the shoes!

6. HaroldB

HaroldB Member

Larry:
    The nut assembly is there, just not visible in the previously posted pic. The pictured left emergency brake functions as it should, it's just that the shoes (linings) need replacing.

Ken:
    My local NAPA says they can get the TS141, BUT he says there is no place at the top of the shoe for the emergency brake spreader to fit in. I hesitate to be cutting into a brand new shoe, but without the spreader, there is no emergency braking.

I have all new wheel cylinders and once the shoes are removed, new ones located, everything will be cleaned before new installation.

Harold

Attached Files:

7. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

My Bad

Harold - Taking some photos really helps me remember what's what! ;)

These two photos should help you or lead to some other questions. The brake shoes don't receive the ebrake link, but another part which I've included a photo of. One photo is taken from the passenger side and the other from the drivers side, just to make it interesting. :rolleyes: Note: There is a spring that compresses as the end of the link slips over the slot.

Attached Files:

8. HaroldB

HaroldB Member

Thanks Larry. Now I see that what I have is entirely different from what must be the normal. However, I believe I've read that the spreader linkage shown in your picture is no longer available, except maybe in a salvage yard. I have seen the flat spreader linkage like mine pictured in some parts drawings, but they and the needed notched shoes don't seem to be available. I have the spreader linkages, just no source of new shoes with the needed notch.

Thanks for all the help, but I believe my best bet is to investigate getting new linings on the shoes I have.

Harold

BTW, our daughter lives in south Spokane, west of 195

Attached Files:

9. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Harold - Joe @ DeadZoneTruckin' may have your missing parts. Send him a PM. He has a current post in the Traffic Light Viewer string.

10. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Harold... you do have the huck brake system but the spreader bar you are trying to install is actually the "flat" spreader for the later ('51 & up } Bendix brakes & it is completely incompatible .

[​IMG]

Larrys picture show the correct "round/dowl type" spreader bar you need & it also looks like you are missing the parking brake cable arms that connect to both the parking brake cables & the spreader bars.

[​IMG]

Looks to me like the following correct parts will get you back on the road again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  11. HaroldB

HaroldB Member

The parking brake cable arms are there, so all I need to get it to what you say it should be are the round spreaders.

I don't know when or who "rigged" the flat bar into the Huck system, but the one wheel that was done like that worked.

I could buy new shoes, put it back together without any spreader (no emergency brakes) and be back on the road. Or, I could have the existing shoes relined, put the rigged flat bar system back in, have emergence brakes and be on the road.

What I prefer is to purchase just the correct round spreaders, reassemble it the way is is supposed to be, have emergency brakes and hit the road.

So, I need to know if I can purchase just the spreaders, how and for how much.

Harold

Attached Files:

12. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Sent you 2 PMs Harold

13. sweet70beast

sweet70beast Member

Both my 50 Chevy and my 50 GMC have the flat bar setup too. My 47 Panel was missing the rear axle when I got it so I don't know what it had.

14. Jeremiah Patterson

Jeremiah Patterson Member

DeadzoneTruckin or HaroldB I just signed up and found your post I need the same brake parts that DeadZoneTruckin needed did you guys find a website to get them or ?? PLEASE GET BACK TO ME Thank you guys in advance

15. John1950GMC

John1950GMC Member

Hi, new here. Following this thread as I'm in the midst of rebuilding my 1950 GMC 3/4 ton rear brakes. The discussion about the eccentric pivot bolt for the parking brake was helpful as I'm missing this important part. Thanks.