Rear brakes

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by drivea55, Mar 19, 2012.

1. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Okay guys. Just rebuilt my rear brakes, and need a review. When I took them apart, between the rust, scum, and scorpions, I didn't pay good attention. It's been like a gazillion years since I've done this, and just wanna know if they look right. Also wanted to share where I'm at in the project. The frame pic is pretty accurate, but I have done a little more than this much. The engine is begging to get installed, but not until new shoes (not brake shoes) are installed. I'm having a few minor issues with our host. I made the mistake of exchanging parts, when I decided to go 5 lug instead of 6. It's been almost 2 months, and still no new rotors. Plus, converting rear axles hasn't been that easy either. Was told that 71' rear drums would work, so bought them locally. Nope, wrong bolt pattern. A friend gave me 2 drums off his 55' Bellaire. Good fit, almost. The center hole is too small, so have to take them to the machine shop this morning and get em enlarged. Also, the POR15 job on the frame went pretty okay. Two sessions of spraying. First was like using an air brush, and the second was like using a garden hose. Glad that part is over.
    It's going ever so slowly, but most importantly, it's going forward :D
    Woody

Attached Files:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Looks pretty good to me. Can't tell from the picture, is the adjuster in the the right way (do the teeth align with the hole in the backing plate)??

3. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Yeah Bill, Got that part right. If I had of missed that, I need to find another hobby, right? I just see all these parts on web sites, that I don't recognize. I guess these other parts are specific to the year their from, as the parts cover several years. I got no extra parts, so?

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

How you gonna build up your supply of spare parts???:D

5. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Hey Bill,
    No spares dude. When they used to hand build Mercedes, they lasted a long time right? Hey, I see you're from Klein. Is that the Houston area Klein? I'm wondering if I've seen your truck at the nifty fiftys gatherings on Saturday nights?

6. jharter

jharter Member

Shoes ? ? ? ? ?

Usually there is a short shoe and a long shoe on each side. Does the other side have 2 short shoes ? Just checking

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I attend the Nifty Fiftys shows about once a month, so you could have seen my truck there. Shows start the last Saturday this month.

Klein accourding to the locals. Spring according to the US Post Office. I live about 5 miles from the show.

8. jharter

jharter Member

Shoes ? ? ? ?

Usually there is a short shoe and a long shoe on each side. Does the other side have two short shoes ??

9. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Okay, you had me wondering about the shoes, but I should have remembered, that each pair came wrapped seperately. But, I still measured, and it's all good. CP did tell me when I ordered them, that they were sold seperately, so I ordered two. Not true, so now I do have spares Bill :D
    Woody

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I missed it and 573100 is correct. The short shoe is normally towards the front of the truck and the longer is towards the rear. In your picture both shoes appear to be the same length.

11. drivea55

drivea55 Member

All four shoes are the same. I measured the length of the surface of each shoe, and all are 12 inches. Don't believe I screwed anything up here.

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

GMC Master Parts book shows two "forward" and two "reverse" shoes on the front axle. The drawing (not a photograph) shows one shoe with lining covering the complete area it is bonded to with the other shoe covering 80-90%.

13. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Bill, Doesn't The Shoe With The Most Lining Go Forward (Front Of Truck?)
    Woody, For What It's Worth I Would Close The Hook End Of The Two Top Spring's
    (Close Them a Little More W/Plier's) Not Trying To Tell You How To Do It,But My Dad
    Was a Mechanic and Always Would Tell Me To Close Them as He Had Seen a Set Come Off
    once. Just To Be Safe!
    Allen

By The Way Woody, Looks Good What You Have Done So Far!

14. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Bill, if it makes any difference, you referenced the front axle, but this is only the rear brakes that are shoed. Again, all four shoes (meaning two per wheel), are identical in length.
    Thanks Allen, will consider that tip.
    On another note, did any of you create your own brake lines? I'm a little timid about attempting this, but know I can do it myself. I used to trim big deluge valves back in the day. It's really not any different than bending conduit, which I've done plenty of that. I just need to refresh my calculations for bends and offsets.
    I found a complete SS kit at LMC, but knew that this is for a factory settup, and I'm using the CPP power booster. I couldn't believe that LMC doesn't have a tech support staff. Just some fricken foreigner reading from notes given to him. He was of no help. I could really use some of y'alls experience on this one. It's kinda important. You know, stopping properly and all :eek:
    I'm worried about fittings more than anything. The hose to tube connecter at the differential, The hoses to tubing connecters at the front, and the connecters at the booster pump. Is it better to use both front ports, or does it matter? I also can't find the springs I need for the parking brakes. My local parts house ordered me every spring kit they showed for a 55, but they were all for the rear brakes themselves. I need the main tensioner spring (the big one), that keeps tension on the cable and linkage, and the two small springs fit to the outside of the frame to what I believe is for keeping the insulated cable away from the wheels.
    Any tips y'all can give would be certainly appreciated.
    Woody

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Bad case of dumba$$ on my part.

The corporate H033 rear axle used on 55-59 Chevy, 55.2 and some 56 GMC 1/2 ton use different leading and trailing brake shoes on each side. The Spicer 45 equipped (some 56 and all 57-59) GMCs use four identical brake shoes on the rear axle. I don't know what your '55 Chevy car rear end should have.

16. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Bill, You'd NEVER Be a dumba$$ on My part,I Highly Regard You as The MAN
    Who Now's Allot About Our Trucks and I Enjoy This Forum Because Of You!!!
    Take Care,Allen

17. drivea55

drivea55 Member

I agree with you Allen. But Bill, I'm not building a car :eek:

18. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Woody,While Your At It, Why Dont You Convert That 55 Car Rear To Disc Brakes lol
    Then You Would Not Have To Worry About Which Brake Shoe's For It
    Just a Crazy Thought On My Part! Hey It's Only Money! RIGHT?
    Take Care,Allen

19. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Not gonna happen Allen. I've spent enough so far to have bought probably more than 5 of these trucks when they were new. Everytime I buy anything, it's 100 bucks or more. Even the little stuff. I've already topped 16k in parts, and still got the bumpers and a seat to buy.
    I'm going to be content with what I'm building. I made the mistake of doing the lugs at 5 X 4 3/4, instead of 5 X 5, but it's all gonna work out. A friend gave me the drums from his 55' bellaire. I just wanted to run the old Cragar SS Classic wheels, and I didn't like the look of the 6 lug ones, and would of had to run 17 inch wheels. Trying to stay old school as much as I can. Even though I'm still building the chassis, it's starting to look like something. I through a tizzy with our host this morning about my exchange on the front rotors, and hopefully I'll see them soon now. Once the brakes lines are complete, and the front brakes and wheels are on, then the engine goes in. And, guess I forgot that I still need a starter too :( .
    I'm really looking forward to installing all the engine bolt ons. Then, pics, cover it and start the body work.
    It's gettin more fun by the day, or should I say weekend.
    Woody

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Leading Brake Shoes "

The shorter brake shoe always goes to the front because it has more stopping power .

No worries , you can run equal length brake shoes , it doesn't hurt anything .

FWIW , those strange " dual leading brake shoe " setups (the ones with two separate 1/2 or ' blind ' cylinders , do use equal length friction shoes....