Rear disc break conversion

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Reinovator, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

I've received a 91 Chev caprice Blown engine and hole coming up through the floor behind the passenger seat in front of the back seat don't ask how, something about sand dunes and drinking? no other damage surprisingly and no It wasn't ME!!! and I have A 1977 GMC 1/2 ton Two wheel drive daily driver.
    They have the same lug pattern and I would like to install the rear disc breaks on my pickup.:eek:
    Has any one preformed this or am I opening a big can of Worms.:D

2. drabo

drabo Member

The only problem is trucks usually use larger brakes than cars. Good thing they are on the back. Check wheel diameter. Other than that, are the axles the same width? Maybe you can swap the entire axle. You will need the master cylinder and prop valve out of the donor car as well.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

The truck diff is leaf spring set up, the car is a coil spring diff set up.
    The car diff will be a 10 bolt. Your truck should be a 12 bolt.
    It would be easier to use a truck 88 up that had the rear disc set up get all the parts & brackets that has been said in post before this. :D

4. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Rear disc breaks

Thank you for all the feed back.
    new computer still setting it up or I would have replied sooner.
    Yes I Under stand about both issues the weight of the Caprice is more than the
    total weight of the Pickup so theory these should be better than the pick up breaks.
    On older caprice's that I owed they took the same shoes for drum breaks believe it or not. early 70's era. on some models police wagon etc.