Rear end to 5 lug

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by az64stepside, Jun 25, 2008.

1. az64stepside

az64stepside Member

What is the easiest way to go 5 lug on the rear end?

2. joe231

joe231 Member

I believe you can buy 5 lug axles to swap into your differential, have your stock axles drilled, or find a 70-72 truck coil sprung rear end.
    if you have access and know how to you can cut your perches and track bar mounts off and weld them to a newer style rear end. several ways to go, just depends on your budget and skill level:D
    oh and CPP sells a rear end conversion for our trucks that comes with the perches, new u-bolts, adjustable track bar and track bar mount
    here is the LINKY

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  3. az64stepside

az64stepside Member

What newer style rear ends can you use with this? How about a 60s-70s gm auto 10 blot? I don't see a price on that kit. Thanks.

4. joe231

joe231 Member

kit is $169
    cars won't bolt in, different arms
    I have a mid eighties truck rear end, came from the same truck as the front cross-member.
    one of these will work with the CPP kit
    just need to measure width and see what you can use

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. billydonn

billydonn Member

All correct but it is 71-72 truck axle that will fit (but is 1 1/2 inches wider).
    70s were still six bolt. It is probably easiest just to buy replacement axles.

6. joe231

joe231 Member

I stand corrected...thanks billydonn

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

i picked up a 12 bolt 5lug out of a impalla, stronger and had the 5lug i wanted. it wasnt any wider then the origanal axle. i just cut off the perches and welded in the new ones when i lowerd the rear 6". the adjustable pan hard bar goes to the lower right trailing arm mount so i didnt need to weld on a place to bolt up the bar on the axle like the origanal bar did.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  8. aimless

aimless Member

There is a kit availible from Classic Parts that will make it so you can bolt ANY axle with 3" tubes to your truck. Mine is out of a '95 Suburban. The nice thing is it sets the rear wheels out as far as the fronts when you install a power disc break kit from CPP. The bad thing is, as I found out, is your bolt pattern is going to be different front and rear. Front is 5x4.5. Rear is 5x5.

9. joe231

joe231 Member

Why do you have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern on the front? 5 on 4.5 is a car pattern, the truck pattern is 5 on 5. what front brake kit did you get? you can get a 5 on 5 kit from many suppliers or just use stock truck parts from 71 & up.

10. aimless

aimless Member

I ordered the front brake kit from Classic Parts, which drop shipped it from CPP.

11. joe231

joe231 Member

My question is why did you get a 5 on 4.5 kit, were you planning on using a car rear diff? you could have gotten a 5 on 5 kit for the same money, I believe

12. green&wide

green&wide Member

I did not know you could get a 5x4.5 front pattern. Why would you want to? what size rotors do you have?

13. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

Great Truck

This message is for green&wide.

I looked at your photo album and its great. I have a 66 SWB and its the same color combo, but its green and white. What did you get the tailgate latches out of and how does it operate, can't tell by the cutout in the picture. What did you use for the cables and cable ends they look great. And last but not least how and how much is your truck lowered and what size are the wheels and tires.
    Thanks for any info your are willing to give up.

Thanks again
    BB;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  14. green&wide

green&wide Member

thanks,
    it is just a later fleetside latch turned around with the rods cut and shortened.
    the cables I got from bruce horkeys here http://http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/page17.html
    the wheels are 8 in front with 235/70/15 and rears are 10" with 275/60/15 the truck is lowered 4.5" in front and 4" in back

15. aimless

aimless Member

I don't know why I got a 5 x 4.5 kit. That is what CPP drop shipped to me.

I made it work.