Rear Main Seal

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by bjs70c10, Sep 14, 2004.

1. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

Hello all. I have a '70 C/10 with a 350 4bbl 4-speed. The engine was overhauled right before I got it by some high school kids in the automotive class. The motor now has about 6,000 miles on it. Ever since I got it, it leaked a lot of oil, but runs extremely well. It leaks all around the pan gasket, but there is a trememdous amount of oil coming from under the clutch area, so I think the rear main seal is really bad. The clutch often has a shudder in it while it is engaging, so I think it may be full of oil. My question is if it possible to change the rear main from underneath without taking the transmission and the clutch and everything else out. Also are there any products or ideas that could help without tearing the whole thing down.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. tech1

tech1 Member

sorry to be the one to say it but you will have to drop the clutch and the tranny to get to the rear main if you need any help in the tear down we will all be happy to help you or you can get to me directly at tech1@chevyduty.com

3. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO,

I HATE TO DISSAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE. YOU ARE CORRECT IF THE ENGINE HAS A 1 PIECE REARMAIN SEAL, SUCH AS 87-CURRENT 305-350.
    IF THE 350 WAS MADE BEFORE THIS, THEN YOU CAN BY ALL MEANS REPLACE THE REARMAIN SEAL WITHOUT REMOVING THE TRANS/CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL.
    REMOVE THE STARTER.
    REMOVE THE CLUTCH INSPECTION/DUST SHIELD.
    REMOVE THE MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS.
    RAISE ENGINE ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE PAN.
    REMOVE THE OIL PAN BOLTS AND PAN.
    REMOVE OIL PUMP.
    REMOVE REARMAIN BEARING CAP.
    REMOVE LOWER SEAL HALF FROM CAP.
    PUSH UPPER HALF AROUND FROM OVER TOP OF CRANKSHAFT.
    INSTALL SEAL CORRECTLY!
    INSTALL IN REVERSE ORDER.
    REMEMBER TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING.
    RETORQUE TO SPECS.
    I SUSPECT THAT THE HIGHSCHOOLERS INSTALLED THE SEAL BACKWARDS AS IT CAN GO EITHER WAY.

GOOD THINGS,

BRANT

4. bjs70c10

bjs70c10 Member

Thanks for the help. Does the engine necessarily have to be raised to get the pan out from underneath it? It looks like it would clear.

Thanks,
    Brian

5. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO BRIAN,

I ALWAYS RAISE IT FOR GOOD MEASURE,ONLY A FEW INCHES THOUGH.
    YOU COULD CERTAINLY TRY WITHOUT RAISING.
    IF IT DOES CLEAR THEN YOU SAVED SOME TIME.
    EVERY TIME I TRIED TO DO IT WITHOUT RAISING THE ENGINE THE PAN WOULD NOT CLEAR THE OIL PUMP PICKUP.

GOOD LUCK BRIAN.

GOOD THINGS,

BRANT

6. Smokinjo1012

Smokinjo1012 Member

Hey Guys: I have a 1967 chevy C10 with a 1973 454ci motor. the motor when it starts up is a constant 30 to 50 psi oil pressure. but after the motor is warmed up it drops between 10 & 25 psi oil pressure. is this typical for a 454 or or do I need a new oil pump?