rear susp. swap

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by heavychevy59, Jun 1, 2004.

1. heavychevy59

heavychevy59 Guest

Hows it going? I've asked this question on other forums but would like a second opinion. Has anybody ever swapped the coil over susp. out of a 69-72 long box into an earlier style truck with factory leaf spings(1959 apache shortbox fleetside) I realize the trailing arms will be way to long but I've already got a solution for that. If this is to much of a hassle, what later year frame would work without a pile of modifying. I have access to an earlie 80's shortbox chassis. I've been told that the frame would need to be shortened and I would have to extend the front frame horns to accept the rad mounts. Just want to verify this before I start and go the wrong route. Also, what kind of job is it to swap the factory tilt column from the 72 to the 59?

Thanks.

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

I think that if you wanna swap cabs go for it. but find a shortbed frame. that way you don't have top modify the frame i.e. shortening it. i personally wouldn't trust the frame even if a very good welder did weld it.
    cowboy

3. glock35ipsc

glock35ipsc Member

I've never understood why people are so freaked out about a frame that has been properly cut and welded. I never met a race car driver (NASCAR, NHRA, or otherwise) that was scared of his/her welded frame. I've welded my share as well, and am in the process of shortning my 68 frame. Won't be any different than the way it was before I cut it, only 20" shorter. There are a few still bouncing around out there that has seen my mig gun and plasma cutter :7.

A good welder with a good machine is all you need. Good luck!

4. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I dont see a problem with welding frames,new Chevy truck frames are welded in the middle.Karl

________
    UHWH WAREHOUSE

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. Markj_11

Markj_11 Member

I was just got a 69 long bed and was talking to someone about shortening the frame. After it is shortened the only things to change are wiring, brake lines, drive shaft and bed? Is that correct? Thanks for your help.