rear window install

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by skidly, Feb 7, 2013.

1. skidly

skidly Member

Before I start my rear window install on my 57, small window, does anyone have any tips or tricks?
    I assume the ends of the weatherstrip meet at the bottom, middle.
    Would it be a good idea to offset the ends of the rubber lock bead a little, just past the weatherstrip ends?

Thanks.

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

window

Our host sells a rear lock bead installation tool, it is a lot of help. Putting the new rubber in is a job for someone with strong thumbs and patience. Those pry bars made of new age plastics work good around glass. You can get them most places now, body shop suppy places have them. Metal on glass is a disaster waiting to happen. Did mine with a friend and lots of WD40, we had sore thumbs for a week afterwards.
    Maybe someone here knows more tricks of the trade and will comment.
    Gerald in Florida

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

soap and water

put some dish soap in a squirt bottle lube the rubber real good a helper works well to

4. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

I have done quite a few windshields in the O'l 73-87 chevy pick ups, and a few I put in by myself, A "good helper" really makes it a lot easier, I always used a small nylon rope 1/4 inch or even smaller is better, and most importantly is dishsoap and water........slicker the better on the rope. always wrap the rope from top to bottom and keep the ends of the ropes at the bottom and start in the center, and have your helper to lightly / gently push inward "from the outer edges" of the glass.......with a back glass with no support, always make sure you keep your hands below the glass / rubber untill it gets zipped in up both sides incase it jumps out, YOU DON'T HAVE A HOOD TO CATCH IT BACK THERE....:) usually you can easily pull the ropes out "evenly" and just zip a glass right in slick as a hounds tooth.......just a thought.

Jim

5. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

I was able to get my rear window in - after about 20 hours. Made me think twice about doing the windshield - had the professionals do that. The gasket is not like the original, but it works and I didn't have to cuss once.