replacing wiring harness

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by shorty_65, Jul 9, 2002.

1. shorty_65

shorty_65 Member

I Have a 65 chevy p/u short bed i want to re-wire every thing but the truck now has an HEI ignition and a 350 in it will the replacement wiring harness (18 circut)do the job. Another thing Every time i cut the truck off and it sits without being stated for about 16 hours the battery will be drained Iv'e had the battery recharged twice but it still happenes, what could i try to do .......thank you

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Shorty ! Draining battery sounds like a short , , ,Shorty.

Tracing it down is tedious but not impossible.

BUT,,, as you are contemplating a wiring kit, don't worry about it. Switch to a one wire alternator while you are at it.

It's near impossible to diagnose this type of battery drain problem over the internet. If you are interested in fixing it before you do the rewire, pick up a wiring diagram manual for your truck and start tracing and checking circuts.

The re-wire is not that difficult. Most have very complete directions. Be organized. Lay out the wiring circuits loosly on the garage floor first. This will help you bundle circuits headed in the same direction. Take your time and the job can be completed in a few days.

Best of luck

Dennis

3. shorty_65

shorty_65 Member

thanks Dennis for your help and advice.

4. sir50r

sir50r Member

Replacing wiring harness is a sinch. Chevy Duty and ##### has complete harness sets to redo the entire truck. I had to go through ##### for HEI harness though.

5. shorty_65

shorty_65 Member

As you know I also need an HEI wiring harness did you get it from chevy duty and if you did how much did it cost you if you didn't get it from chevy duty where did you get it at.

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

OK, I'm confused. HEI harness??? All I did was wire the BAT connection of the HEI to the ignition switch. The TACH connection went to the factory tach. Pretty simple.

Dennis

7. sir50r

sir50r Member

Don't remember the cost but it's worth it. This sight blocked out the name is my last response to you. If this one doesn't go through then e-mail me at sir50r61@msn.com . Try brotherstrucks.com for the HEI harness. All other harnesses I got here at Chevy Duty.