restoring to original

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by chevy55, Aug 7, 2002.

1. chevy55

chevy55 Member

I'd just purchased a 1955 3800 series(2nd) and this truck is complete, has ALL parts. Was wanting to do a total frameoff restore and was wondering if anyone knows when doing this, should I follow the original color scheme (factory), also paint bumbers, or get them chromed or can I stray from the forrest green, and design my own color scheme once we paint?

Reason I'm asking is that I'd like to use this truck as a tower for my drag car, and would like to paint them to match. But I'm wanting to get the most money down the road for the truck when I sell and would doing a 100% restore be better, or would painting it any color not take away from the value?

Appreciate all input and advise...Thanks

Thanks,

chevy55 :)
    Thanks,

chevy55

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Five five...

If it's a Camino I'd say stick with the factory colors for resale value. Or, not ! I received a MarKay catalog with a bright red one on the cover that I'll bet good money didn't hurt it's retail value !

Seriously, it's the attention to detail and quality of the restoration that will help the return on investment. Folks tend to look at the color long enough to tell how well it was done, not if it was original.

I say, go the color match route with your race car.

Regards,

Dennis

3. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

The fact is, any repaint, even stock colors, is a second place trophy at the show. It's your truck, your cash, your labor. Paint it any color you like, go for chrome bumpers if you like, it's not going to affect the resale on an otherwise total resto.

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog